Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon S90 / WP-DC35 Lens test

Started by DanBolt ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon S90 / WP-DC35 Lens test

5 posts
  1. Hello Folks,

     

    Just got back from my 1st dip in with the S90 in the canon WP-DC35 housing. I've been spending some time before getting it wet prepping my motley collection of lenses to work on the Dyron 67mm adaptor for this housing, and happily I can report great sucess with all three of my lenses :-)

     

    The fisheye I'm using is the FIX UWL-04 with their 67mm thread: yes you've got to zoom in a notch or two but it works like a charm & is reasonably sharp at the edges too:

    aIMG_0410a.JPG

    (This chap was almost tapping on the lens)

     

    My wide angle is a home converted Sea & Sea DX-2G wide angle which I unscrewed their bayonet mount & put on a standard 67mm stepping ring, works really well (though you need to zoom in 1 notch):

    aIMG_0372a.JPG

    and

    aIMG_0390.JPG

     

    Finally, and to me the most exciting find, is the macro lens. All you MMII lovers out there get ready to dust off the old kit! Remember the Sea & Sea 2T macro lens? Well, if you unscrew the bayonet mount & add your own 67mm stepping ring you've got yourself a superb macro lens that is easily the equal (though I reckon actually better) than any modern macro lens. With the S90 in 'normal' focusing mode you'll get a lens-to-subject distance of about 80mm, and in proper macro mode that'll drop to about 40mm when the camera is at full zoom:

    aIMG_0339a.JPG

     

    Not the best photos I know, but hopefully illustrative of what I've been able to achieve with a bit of d.i.y. - now just need some decent vis to play in!

     

    If anyone's interested I'll post photos of the lenses on the housing later.

     

    Take care,

     

    Dan

     

    PS: The vis was 2 - 3m, and this was a snorkelling trip

    Edited by DanBolt
  2. DanBolt

    thank you for your work!

  3. Hello Folks,

    ...my 1st dip in with the S90 in the canon WP-DC35 housing.... motley collection of lenses to work on the Dyron 67mm adaptor for this housing, and happily I can report great sucess with all three of my lenses :-)

     

    The fisheye I'm using is the FIX UWL-04 with their 67mm thread: yes you've got to zoom in a notch or two but it works like a charm & is reasonably sharp at the edges too

     

    My wide angle is a home converted Sea & Sea DX-2G wide angle which I unscrewed their bayonet mount & put on a standard 67mm stepping ring, works really well (though you need to zoom in 1 notch):[snip]

     

    Finally..the macro lens. ..Remember the Sea & Sea 2T macro lens? ...if you unscrew the bayonet mount & add your own 67mm stepping ring you've got yourself a superb macro lens.... With the S90 in 'normal' focusing mode you'll get a lens-to-subject distance of about 80mm, and in proper macro mode ... about 40mm when the camera is at full zoom....

    Excellent work. Did you get the Dyron adapter at Cameras Underwater? They are the only practical supplier I found. I'm on the verge of getting the adapter from them.

     

    The Dyron 15 and 20mm conversion lenses are so compact compared to the Fisheye and Inon wides, I'm so tempted to get the 20. I worry the 15 is just not sharp in the corners, but wow it's wide.

     

    Can you post some pics of your housing with the lenses and especially your DIY conversion of each lens? I was thinking of giving that a go too and don't want to re-invent the wheel. My idea was to put a step ring on the DC35, since the Dyron adapter is tough to buy here in the USA. Then I would use the 67mm screw mount versions of these lenses, but if the bayonet mount versions can be modified, that's great.

     

    Thanks again, this is great stuff!!

  4. Good test but I think that place is too opaque

  5. Great info, Dan. Thanks for sharing.

     

    Alex

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.