It's not shown as having been tested w/ the D100 but it looks like it will work w/ the other DSLR's
Cheers
James
On ebay, there are a number of them for $185 + $13 shipping.
From what I've seen on DPreview (Storage forums), it appears that the Magicstors are a piece of junk... there are many threads concerning problems with them, including overheating and current draw problems.
Buyers beware. I'd rather sink my money into a couple of proven solid state cards which are much more robust.
On my last trip I used 2GB flash cards that provided about 200 RAW images on my D100. I typically changed the flash card once a day and the battery every other day "whether it needed it or not". With microdrives it was every other dive, not every other day.
The ability to goes days between battery changes---priceless.
Of course there are 2GB microdrives from Hitachi/IBM and 4GB ones as well and these are much less expensive than solid state ones of the same capacity. I have had great success with the IBM 1 GB drives (I change batteries every dive anyway, if I can) and the 2 and 4GB drives should not draw much more power than the 1gb ones. It is interesting that when the microdrive is in the camera it really doesn't get warm, while if I let it sit in a card reader it gets hot.
Didn't know the new microdrives were available. Changing batteries is very time consuming for me and requires a lot of space!
Will need to ascertain if 2.2 gig drives will work in FAT16 cameras... I would like to try one of these, but would rather go into a Fry's or something w/ my camera than plunk down the money for one...
Cheers
James
Frankly, from what I'm hearing/reading, I wouldn't consider a microdrive for any price. Also, if I drop my CompactFlash on the floor (which I have a couple of times), it bounces a few times, I pick it up, and back in the D100 it goes. A microdrive would probably be toast.
I just bought a Lexar 1 GB Pro 40X USB CompactFlash from amazon.com for $267. I can shoot 100+ RAW shots before downloading. Power consumption is nil, and it doesn't heat up. What's not to like?
That's my 2¢ worth.
I agree with you concerning the microdrives Jimbo. I recently purchased a 1GB Ridata 52x ($250) and a 20GB X's-Drive II ($200). This let's me take up to 136 RAW photos at a time then download them to the XS-drive at the end of the day.
If I had a micodrive it would have been trashed long ago considering how may times I have dropped my CF card!
Recently my CF reader was yanked off my desk (don't ask) and fell to the floor while I was doing a transfer, no problems.
God bless solid state components
Chris
Hi,
I use a 1GB MD for over a year now (topside and UW) and took several thousand pictures with it.
I dropped it several times and handle it the same (rough) way I do with my CF cards. Until now there absolutely no problems. Just luck or are MD better than their reputation???
Best regards
Christian
Christian,
I've had a similar experience with my IBM Microdrives. Working flawlessly despite dropping them several times :freak: The write times on the S2 are very fast.