Greetings all - I am a newbie to the forum but a diver of 25+ years. Back in the day used a Nikonos (not very well I am afraid) and am now getting back into u/w photography via digital. I bought the Olympus system because I have a lot to learn and wanted to start simple with an integrated ecosystem that was designed to be plug'n'play, so I could focus on technique and not gear. I'm having a blast in general but experiencing difficulty understanding and using this combo.
Following the manuals and what little info I have been able to glean on line, I have the strobe connected via fiber optic cable and both it and the camera set to RC mode. I think that I understand the strobe settings for aperture, ISO, zoom, and auto operation and believe that they are set correctly. The strobe is on an arm set and I have experimented with all sorts of positions from wide to tight. The camera is set to program (auto) mode and most shots where I've been diving have been at about f4 / 160 / ISO 100. The strobe fires seemingly when and how it is supposed to. However I am consistently getting badly under-exposed shots even at distances of well under half a meter. In fact they look as if there was no strobe at all, almost as if the strobe is not synchronized to the shutter.
I know that I could switch to manual operation and will eventually get there when I gain knowledge and confidence, but for now want to get the auto mode working for me. Would switching to either shutter or aperture priority and getting the shutter speed down around 60 improve things? Do I need to manually control ISO to get better sensitivity? Other tips?
The Olympus manuals are close to useless, and there is just not much experience being posted on line yet from other users. Anyone with knowledge of the Olympus system, your advice will be most welcome! TIA