Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

WA lens for 5D mkII

Started by stewsmith ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

WA lens for 5D mkII

18 posts
  1. Would like to get a few views from people that have switched from cropped to full frame. I am looking at the Canon 15mm at the moment. Are there any other options to go for. The 14mm is too expensive unless I was able to pick up a second hand one.

     

    Stew

  2. I have been very pleased w/ the 24L and the 16-35 II

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Maybe the Sigma 15mm FE (closer focus I believe and cheaper) and like James said the 16-35 (I was sold the 16-35 w/+2 diopter, but got soft corners and crazy reflections) check what extension ring you need for your housing to get the best results.

     

    Mike

  4. I use a 14mm and a 16-35mm. They are both nice lenses and have their place but for general wide shots you will be happy with the results from the 16-35mm. Not to mention the difference in price!!

     

    Regards,

     

    Lance

  5. I find the 15mm Canon to be superb but the Sigma fisheye has a good reputation and closer focus which would be handy. I also use the 24L. DON'T touch the 20mm canon!!!

  6. For budget and sharpness... Tokina 17mm ATX Pro is very good.

    Sigma 20 is also pretty decent IF you find a great copy. Test several and pick the best. Problem with Sigma is the QC is shoddy sometimes.

    The Sigma 14 is better than the Canon 14 I but not the 14 II. But check with the 5D2, the extra resolution can turn a good lens into mush.

  7. What housing are you using?

     

    You cant technically use the 16-35 II with the Ikelite housing, but in reality you can as long as you screw in the port body first, then mount the leans and screw on the 8" dome last.

     

    I use the 14 2.8L II and love it, but it vignettes unless you remove the dome shade. I also use the 24 1.4L and the 15 fisheye. To be honest, im not that impressed with the fisheye, but the 14 2.8 II is nothing short of remarkable. I know its not a cheap piece of glass, but its worth every 200,000 pennies you pay for it. Its actually my favorite lens of any glass I own (underwater of or land) including the 70-200 2.8 IS, 400 2.8, and 85 1.2.

    Edited by marv800
  8. To be honest, I'm not that impressed with the fisheye.

    I think that it is a little 'port sensitive' and it needs stopping down to really work well.

  9. What housing are you using?

     

     

    Sea & Sea

     

    Stew

  10. Do you want rectilinear or distorted? :)

     

    The 15mm fisheye works very well with an 8" dome on the S&S. If you read the review I wrote, make sure to test the S&S port and compare to 3rd party ports as the optimal extension for the 16-35 with S&S's list is VERY different from everyone else's.

  11. Do you want rectilinear or distorted? :)

    To be honest Drew I am not too bothered. What I dont want to do is buy a lens that does not perform well underwater. I already have the 17-40L, and I would like a lens that is suitable for a Bahamas trip and that is also good for wreck shots as I will be doing a lot of wreck photography over the next few years.

     

    The 15mm fisheye works very well with an 8" dome on the S&S. If you read the review I wrote, make sure to test the S&S port and compare to 3rd party ports as the optimal extension for the 16-35 with S&S's list is VERY different from everyone else's.

     

    I already have the fish eye dome port and the zen 100mm, if was able to get a lens that worked behind the FE dome I would be happy not to have to purchase another dome.

     

    Stew

    Edited by stewsmith
  12. I have just looked at the Sea and Sea system chart and the 16 -35 II is recommended to be used behind a FE dome and 40mm extension. which is pretty cool as I already have these items, the other lenses mentioned also seem to be housed behind the FE dome port

     

    Stew

  13. You might want to double check that with REEF in FL....If memory serves me correctly I think they had me remove the +2 diopter and use the SX (20mm?) Ext ring AND the 40mm behind the FE Dome.

     

    Mike

  14. Hi Mike, I double checked the S & S port chart and it does state that the 16-35 II uses the 40mm and the FE port. I will email Reef to see what their findings are with the lens. Cheers for the heads up.

     

    Stew

    Edited by stewsmith
  15. Stew, as in my review, all of the other manufacturers have extension of 55+mm for optimal performance for the 16-35II. I think S&S says 40mm because that's the only big extension they have. I tested the 16-35II with the 60mm and it was good. I'm not sure how it will perform with a smaller dome and closer VI.

  16. Stew, as in my review, all of the other manufacturers have extension of 55+mm for optimal performance for the 16-35II. I think S&S says 40mm because that's the only big extension they have. I tested the 16-35II with the 60mm and it was good. I'm not sure how it will perform with a smaller dome and closer VI.

     

    The plot thickens,. I have PM'd Ryan to see what he has to say. It amazes me though that Sea and Sea have their port system with incorrect details. I will email them for some further guidance. Does anyone from Sea and Sea use this forum?

     

    Stew

  17. I use the Canon 14mm II rect., 16-35mm II, and 24mm, as well as the Sigma 15mm FE. Surprisingly, I find that I tend to go with the cheapest one (Sigma 15FE) first and most often. I like the 14mm, but underwater you really don't need the rectilinear, and the 15FE gets more in the picture. The 16-35mm obviously has the advantage of being able to zoom, but you've already got the 17-40L (a very good lens in its own right), so I think you'd be disappointed with the relative benefit os getting a 16-35 II versus getting a 15FE (Canon OR Sigma, although the Sigma is cheaper, generally considered just as good, and focuses closer). Besides, if you expect to be close to your subjects (e.g., mantas, sharks at Tiger Beach, wrecks, etc.), you'll probably find that you shoot at the wide end most of the time, and with the primes if a subject is occasionally farther away, you've got 21megapixels, so you can crop half the frame away to digitally "zoom" and still have a good sized hi-res result anyway. So I actually don't use the 16-35mm all that much, unless I have no idea what I'll see on that dive. If you're expecting mostly mid-range subjects, the 24mm is a great lens, but it's not overall as useful as the other three in my experience.

    Edited by bmyates
  18. Cheers for the replies everyone. I think I will go for the Canon 15mm FE and use my 17-40mm as a widish zoom when required.

     

    Stew

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.