Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

'Fogged' Epoque Wide Angle wet lens for P and S

Started by Damo ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

'Fogged' Epoque Wide Angle wet lens for P and S

7 posts
  1. Hi folks,

     

    I bought one of these lenses about 3 years ago and I got some nice shots with it. (see pic as example)

     

    http://scubasymphony.com/shop/images/dcl20%5B1%5D.jpg

     

    Unfortunately though, the coating on the lens has just progressively got foggier and foggier- through repeated use- despite being washed and dried in water with a soft cloth after diving.

    Im assuming the lens coating has just degraded over time.

    Just wondering has anyone experienced this problem, with this lens, and is there any cure?

     

    Tanx in advance

  2. Hi folks,

     

    I bought one of these lenses about 3 years ago and I got some nice shots with it. (see pic as example)

     

    http://scubasymphony.com/shop/images/dcl20%5B1%5D.jpg

     

    Unfortunately though, the coating on the lens has just progressively got foggier and foggier- through repeated use- despite being washed and dried in water with a soft cloth after diving.

    Im assuming the lens coating has just degraded over time.

    Just wondering has anyone experienced this problem, with this lens, and is there any cure?

     

    Tanx in advance

    If the coating has really deteriorated there are companies that can clean it and recoat but it is an expensive job. Can you post a pic of the fogged lens? or a pic taken with the lens that shows the fogging?

    Bill

  3. hi Bill

     

    Here you go

    post-18600-1280583898.jpg

    post-18600-1280583910.jpg

    post-18600-1280583921.jpg

  4. hi Bill

     

    Here you go

    Yuck

    First thing I would do (at a risk of making things potentially worse) is to use some relatively mild abrasive (toothpaste, SofScrub etc) and have a go at the glass with that. See if I can get most of the coating off. After that, go at it a bit more aggressively with one of the plastic polishing kits (Novus or the like) and see how that goes.

    Bill

  5. I would not use any Novus plastic polish or even toothpaste on that lens. The elements are coated glass, not plastic. There is an optical coating on both sides of the lens elements.

     

    I have been told before and seen a few examples of Epoque and Ikelite lenses doing this. If the damage is on the outside, I am assuming it is, then if you cannot clean it with lens cleaner and lens cloth the glass will need to be re-coated.

     

    If the damage is internal, as in mold growth, the lens will need to be taken apart, cleaned and repaired.

    Edited by crawdad
  6. I would not use any Novus plastic polish or even toothpaste on that lens. The elements are coated glass, not plastic. There is an optical coating on both sides of the lens elements.

     

    I have been told before and seen a few examples of Epoque and Ikelite lenses doing this. If the damage is on the outside, I am assuming it is, then if you cannot clean it with lens cleaner and lens cloth the glass will need to be re-coated.

     

    If the damage is internal, as in mold growth, the lens will need to be taken apart, cleaned and repaired.

    That's why I said at the risk of making it worse. This doesn't look at all like fungus, it looks like the coating has actually been damaged. Getting it cleaned and recoated might cost twice what the lens is worth at least here in southern California. I was suggesting to try to polish off the damaged coating, leaving an uncoated lens in its wake. Many UW wet lenses are not coated, but I wouldn't be shooting into any sunballs if the coating was removed.

    Bill

  7. That's why I said at the risk of making it worse. This doesn't look at all like fungus, it looks like the coating has actually been damaged. Getting it cleaned and recoated might cost twice what the lens is worth at least here in southern California. I was suggesting to try to polish off the damaged coating, leaving an uncoated lens in its wake. Many UW wet lenses are not coated, but I wouldn't be shooting into any sunballs if the coating was removed.

    Bill

     

    I know you did, did not mean to hammer on you :unsure:.

     

    Did the OP figure out anything?

     

    It almost looks like chemical damage like mask defogger/soap/fuel contamination.

     

    James

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.