Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Lens Advice, Plz

Started by divengolf ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Lens Advice, Plz

10 posts
  1. I'm putting together a kit for a D70 and Aquatica housing with Ike strobes. I have a Tokina 10-17 and a Nikkor 60 (AF-S) version.

     

    I'd like to acquire an "in-between" lens or a general purpose lens that I can use when I don't know what to expect. Some have suggested that my 60mm will fill that need. Other have suggested that I might get a mid-range zoom like a 18-35 or a something similar. Originally I was going to get the 12-24, but that might not be long enough.

     

    I shoot everything from 1:1 to the big guys.

     

    Opinions, plz.

  2. You might consider the Sigma 17-70 macro

  3. I'm putting together a kit for a D70 and Aquatica housing with Ike strobes. I have a Tokina 10-17 and a Nikkor 60 (AF-S) version.

     

    I'd like to acquire an "in-between" lens or a general purpose lens that I can use when I don't know what to expect. Some have suggested that my 60mm will fill that need. Other have suggested that I might get a mid-range zoom like a 18-35 or a something similar. Originally I was going to get the 12-24, but that might not be long enough.

     

    I shoot everything from 1:1 to the big guys.

     

    Opinions, plz.

    I use and like the Sigma 17-70. It's fat, so check if it will work in your housing. Also, there is the Sigma 18-50. Instead of the Nikkor 12-24 or 10-24, put a 1.4 teleconvertor on the Tok 10-17.

    Bob

  4. You might consider the Sigma 17-70 macro

     

    I second the 17-70 mm

  5. Thanks for your advice.

     

    Are the Sigma lenses as good of quality as the Nikkor lenses? Do I get the same AF feature as the Nikkor lenses?

  6. Another vote for the Sigma 17-70 lens.

     

    The Sigma 17-70 lens does work in the Aquatica housing - behind the dome port. Just need the right zoom gear to use with it.

     

    Diverpam

  7. There are two versions of the sigma 17-70, the HSM fat lens and the non-HSM same lens on a diet and may not be available new.

  8. I agree with everyone else. The Sigma 17-70mm. I have the Non-HSM. I have the Tokina 10-17mm and the Nikkor 60mm Macro which I use 95% of the time and rarely used the 17-70mm Sigma. Its a good general purpose lens but for me I prefer to either use the a dedicated wide angle (FE) or a Macro lens than have something which is inbetween.

     

    It makes a good lens for larger fish portraits.

     

    Cheers Mark

  9. Thanks for your advice.

     

    Are the Sigma lenses as good of quality as the Nikkor lenses? Do I get the same AF feature as the Nikkor lenses?

    No, but they focus closer and a considerably cheaper. Their QC can be spotty, so do a lens test. The 17-70 HSM, but not OS lens that I have has "warmer" glass and is not as contrast-ey as my Nikkors.

    Bob

    P.S. They are AF; I am not sure what "AF feature" you are talking about.

    Edited by Deep6
  10. No, but they focus closer and a considerably cheaper. Their QC can be spotty, so do a lens test. The 17-70 HSM, but not OS lens that I have has "warmer" glass and is not as contrast-ey as my Nikkors.

    Bob

    P.S. They are AF; I am not sure what "AF feature" you are talking about.

     

    Bob,

     

    The Sigma list for $580-680. The Nikkor lists for $460. Plus there are many more Nikkors on EBay than Sigmas. But the close focus feature may be worth it.

     

    On the AF, I just wanted to insure that the AF feature on the Sigma would work well on the D70. Sometimes with third-party lens, etc...

     

    Thanks.

     

    Harry

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.