Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

DX-2G TTL mode--how best to use it?

Started by horseflesh ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

DX-2G TTL mode--how best to use it?

3 posts
  1. I just got a DX-2G and YS-01 package and while I will probably shoot manual, I want to understand the TTL feature. The manuals don't really tell you how to use it other than telling you to turn the strobe dial to TTL and make sure the camera flash is on. What does the camera need to be set to? In aperture priority mode I can get decent test shots but the exposure is never quite right, and I can't figure out how to outsmart the TTL system and dial in exposure compensation. Any change I make (exp comp, aperture) seems to be negated by the TTL system trying to help me. The flash power dial is apparently ignored in TTL mode too.

  2. I just got a DX-2G and YS-01 package and while I will probably shoot manual, I want to understand the TTL feature. The manuals don't really tell you how to use it other than telling you to turn the strobe dial to TTL and make sure the camera flash is on. What does the camera need to be set to? In aperture priority mode I can get decent test shots but the exposure is never quite right, and I can't figure out how to outsmart the TTL system and dial in exposure compensation. Any change I make (exp comp, aperture) seems to be negated by the TTL system trying to help me. The flash power dial is apparently ignored in TTL mode too.

     

    The flash power dial isn't entirely ignored, but it only allows for micro-adjustments.

     

    I'm using the YS-110a myself, so can't entirely vouch for how this works with the YS-01, but using TTL, I will typically adjust flash exp comp. You can set that to one of the shortcuts for the rear dial so that you can bring it up fast. The regular exp comp will not affect the flash output as far as I know, or at least not as dramatically.

     

    Tom

  3. The flash power dial isn't entirely ignored, but it only allows for micro-adjustments.

     

    I'm using the YS-110a myself, so can't entirely vouch for how this works with the YS-01, but using TTL, I will typically adjust flash exp comp. You can set that to one of the shortcuts for the rear dial so that you can bring it up fast. The regular exp comp will not affect the flash output as far as I know, or at least not as dramatically.

     

    Tom

     

    Thanks Tom, the flash exp. comp did it.

     

    The camera has great usability--the controls are excellent. Too bad Ricoh doesn't make more cameras.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.