Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Exposure Problem with D70/Nikkor 60mm Macro

Started by divengolf ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Exposure Problem with D70/Nikkor 60mm Macro

4 posts
  1. This isn't exactly an UW question, but I'm getting ready to take this rig UW and was testing and getting familar with it in my back yard. I was shooting in manual in sunlight using the internal exposure meter to adjust S & A. ISO was set at 200. Matrix metering. WB in Auto. I found that when I was focused on an object 8-10 feet away, I had to underexpose by 1 to 1-1/3 f-stops to avoid some highlights being blown out and to get a good histogram. But when I focused closeup (within 6 inches), even in direct sunlight, I did not need the underexposure and the histogram looked good.

     

    Then I put the lens on a D90 and found that the same shots were exposed correctly per the histogram using the internal meter at Null.

     

    Now I just got the lens back from Nikon service, so I'm pretty sure it's fine. Seems like either a settings problem with my D70 or a software problem.

     

    Any ideas?

     

    TIA

  2. This isn't exactly an UW question, but I'm getting ready to take this rig UW and was testing and getting familar with it in my back yard. I was shooting in manual in sunlight using the internal exposure meter to adjust S & A. ISO was set at 200. Matrix metering. WB in Auto. I found that when I was focused on an object 8-10 feet away, I had to underexpose by 1 to 1-1/3 f-stops to avoid some highlights being blown out and to get a good histogram. But when I focused closeup (within 6 inches), even in direct sunlight, I did not need the underexposure and the histogram looked good.

     

    Then I put the lens on a D90 and found that the same shots were exposed correctly per the histogram using the internal meter at Null.

     

    Now I just got the lens back from Nikon service, so I'm pretty sure it's fine. Seems like either a settings problem with my D70 or a software problem.

     

    Any ideas?

     

    TIA

    You didn't say which lens. If it is somewhat w/a, my guess is the D70 matrix metering. I have a D80 which is known from poor matrix metering; the D90 does not have this problem. With mm on the D70, try a shot with uniform lighting like full (bright) sun on green grass. You should get something like a sunny 16 exposure, e.g. ISO 200, f/16 at 1/200. Try spot or more narrow metering on the critial highlights with w/a lenses. Underwater, I suggest manual expose for w/a shots.

    Bob

  3. as you are using the 60mm i would suggest spot metering as opposed to the matrix. use the matrix on the wide shots instead. that should help

  4. Mike & Bob:

     

    Thanks for the suggestion. The other day I tried a few with center-weighted metering and they seemed to have the same problem, but it wasn't a rigorous test.

     

    I'll try spot metering in a couple days when I get home.

     

    Thanks.

     

    Harry

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.