I have a 7D housed in an Ike, which does not have controls for the multi-controller. Has anyone figured out a way to move the AF Point around when in LiveView (AF Live mode) , which is normally done with the multi controller? Or is this the achilles heel of the Ike?! ![]()
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
7D in Ikelite mullti controller workaround
Started by TasmanC ·
- 5Posts
- 5Replies
Read-only discussion
7D in Ikelite mullti controller workaround
-
-
I have a 7D housed in an Ike, which does not have controls for the multi-controller. Has anyone figured out a way to move the AF Point around when in LiveView (AF Live mode) , which is normally done with the multi controller? Or is this the achilles heel of the Ike?!

Yep, that's why I have not gotten an Ike for my 7D. Page 143 of the 7D manual says you can press the <M-Fn> button to change the AF area selection mode and then turn the dials to select the AF point, ....but only after you press the multicontroller to make the AF point selectable. So with an Ike you are screwed trying to do this.
Why Ike decided to ignore this major control goes beyond me. I can not live without this control topside on fast settings changes. It is a real shame for I already have so much in Ike ports etc. Ikelite really needs to upgrade their 7D housing (like they did with the 5Dm2) and find access to this major camera control. Some sort of pushable multidirectional-joystick/button be really awsome!
-
Thanks for the reply. I don't know why Ikelite left out this control either, when Nauticam, Sea and Sea, for example, managed to include this control using simple buttons. Although most operations ( all but one apparently!) can be done without the multi controller, it's alot easier because you only have to remember where one button (Q) to access most settings.
The control that you describe is in the Live View Quick Mode where you get the option to control 3 settings. All you have to do is set the option for the focus point before housing the camera, then it will already be selected when you press the Q button. (This selection is kept in memory even after the camera is turned off.) You can then move the focus point with the wheels.
The other 2 settings that could be selected if you had the use of the multi controller (Lighting Optimizer and image format) can be adjusted in the menu anyway.
The problem arises in Live View Live Mode when you want to move the focus frame. It seems only possible to do this with the multi controller, as the wheels control the shutter speed and aperture.
I have looked into the possibility of registering settings for different focus frame positions, and of customizing button functions without success.
Any ideas?
-
I'm following along. Being fairly new to DSLRs and a complete newbie to DSLRs underwater, the Q button and multicontroller is my go-to for adjusting settings in manual mode. I'm hoping there is some kind of workaround so I don't have to plunk down the cash for a Aquatica or Nauticam for my upcoming Sipadan trip.
-
Not familiar with the 7D controls, is there room on the housing where an additional control
could be added? Ikelite will sell new controls, if you were not concerned about modifying
the housing, would this work for you? If you don't have the facilities (most people don't),
wonder if Ikelite would do customizations?
Many years ago when I built my first housing, first heard about Ikelite as a source of controls
even before I ever bought their housings.
Jim
I'm following along. Being fairly new to DSLRs and a complete newbie to DSLRs underwater, the Q button and multicontroller is my go-to for adjusting settings in manual mode. I'm hoping there is some kind of workaround so I don't have to plunk down the cash for a Aquatica or Nauticam for my upcoming Sipadan trip.