Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

White Balance_fins

Started by StephenFrink ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

White Balance_fins

8 posts
  1. I've been teaching one of my Digital Masters classes this week in Key Largo, which has allowed me more time to play around with video on my Canon 1DMKIV than I could on a normal assignment.

     

    Videographer Frazier Nivens has always impressed on me the importance of frequent white balance at depth, so to that end I dived with "white balance fins" all week, the white version of the Scubapro Seawing Nova:

     

    http://www.scubapro.com/americas/english/s...ng-nova?scene=2

     

    White balancing to fin was a huge improvement over available light in my videos, as can be somewhat deduced by looking at these unprocessed screen grabs with available light still shots at 25 feet on a heavily overcast day.

     

    post-630-1281029629.jpg

     

    I wouldn't call myself a videographer yet, but it was fun to play around. Now, I have to figure out what to do with the files!

  2. I hope Frazier also impressed on you to remove the fin from the frame once you balanced the light :unsure:

  3. I hope Frazier also impressed on you to remove the fin from the frame once you balanced the light :)

     

    Yup, I finally figured that out, Jean. Also had a chance to shoot some more shallow water video with white-fin-white-balance. This from Grand Cayman's Stingray City, 5dMKII, 14mm II, SEACAM superdome, available light:

     

    http://www.youtube.com/user/oceanimaging#p/a/u/0/o2olRdp7Y8k

  4. Yup, I finally figured that out, Jean. Also had a chance to shoot some more shallow water video with white-fin-white-balance. This from Grand Cayman's Stingray City, 5dMKII, 14mm II, SEACAM superdome, available light:

     

     

    Video looks great, and not a fin to be seen in the shots :)

  5. Sweet video Stephen and great interaction footage!

  6. Sweet video Stephen and great interaction footage!

     

    Thanks Jean. Of course, as nice as the 5DII video might be, for me it is more about stills than video. Nice to know it can do both as needed.

     

    post-630-1284122563.jpg

  7. Thanks Jean. Of course, as nice as the 5DII video might be, for me it is more about stills than video. Nice to know it can do both as needed.

     

    post-630-1284122563.jpg

     

     

    All about having your cake and eating it too! :)

  8. Nice video Stephen. I've used my wife's Tusa to WB for several years. I think we might buy two pairs of those white Scubapro Seawings, they look very intriguing.

     

    DSC_7192.jpg

    Edited by johnspierce
Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.