Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Test of the EWA-marine housing with a 10D

Started by whitey ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Test of the EWA-marine housing with a 10D

9 posts
  1. A report on my first experience of submerging AU$5000 worth of camera gear in a crappy plastic bag...

     

     

    Yesterday was an exciting day for my 10D, as it finally got to go underwater. To add to the excitement, the trip was made in a second-hand EWA-marine plastic bag!

     

    For anyone who hasn't seen them, EWA-marine housings are made of heavy duty soft plastic, closed with a metal clamp with three screws and with an optical glass port on the front. The attraction is that they will fit any camera (in the case of my U-AX model, just about any SLR and lens should fit), and the price, at US$105 in this case, is an order of magnitude less than a 'real' underwater housing.

     

    I'd read a few reviews of them on the net which suggested they were probably good for keeping rain off your camera, and a fair few negative comments on forums, generally from people though who hadn't actually used one.

     

    The primary purpose of the trip was to test my buddy's new dingy, but as my Ebay-purchased EWA-marine arrived this week I figured it was a good chance to test it and see if it leaked.

     

    As there were no obvious large holes in my new housing, I loaded my beloved 10D into it and made sure the metal clamp was suitably tightened. A quick test submerge showed no telltale bubbles escaping, which I figured was a good thing.

     

    The test site was off Jardine Island, in the Dampier Archipelago off Australia's remote northwest coast. This isn't a recognised dive site, but the Dampier Archipelago does contain some excellent coral elsewhere along with large marine life.

     

    Snorkelling off a rocky point near where our dingy was moored revealed a fairly good selection of fish. We almost ran over a sea turtle in the boat, but I didn't have the opportunity to snorkel with one on this occasion.

     

    First thought about the EWA-marine:

    I works pretty well with Canon's 17-40L, which fits snugly against the glass of the housing. Vignetting was a problem if the housing wasn't centred well (at 77mm filter diameter this lens is technically to wide for the housing, but physically fits much better than smaller diameter lenses), but I think I can pad it with a piece of foam next time so I don't need to remember to physically hold the plastic housing onto the lens.

    The 17-40L, BTW, would seem to be an good choice if you're using a Canon D30/D60/10D in general underwater use, as it's excellent at 17mm and this is about as wide as you're likely to get with a reasonably priced Canon lens,. The 15mm Sigma prime seems to be a popular choice also. Using lenses which are physically smaller was a bit annoying, and the lens will be a long way from the glass plate of the housing, which is probably not a good thing.

     

    2/"Strobe" - with this housing is with a flash gun mounted in the plastic bag, in this case a 420EX Speedlite. This does give full E-TTL automation, but the strobe is still a bit close to the plane of the lens. Visibilty was not good on my test day (big tides up here stir the water up plenty), and backscatter on most of my test shots was horrible.

     

    3/Ease of use: The viewfinder on the 10D is small to begin with compared to film SLRs, and it's very hard to use with a mask and plastic housing combined to obscur it. The advantage of the soft plastic housing is that it allows me, with difficulty, to use all the functions on the camera, as all the buttons are accessable. The disadvantage is that it's clumsy to access small buttons throught thick plastic. In addition, EWA-marine have cleverly placed a large opaque white model description plate directly over the place where the LCD of a DSLR sits, making it impossible to read. I suppose they figured no-one would be crazy enough to put a perfectly good DSLR into one of their hoiusings...

     

    In summary, this is no match I'm sure for a proper hard housing, but I and many others can't afford one, at least not this week anyway.

     

    Another way to look at it is that for a set-up cost of $100 or so, this gives me an underwater camera setup that has the capabilities to provide quite good results, at least on a good day (I'm planning on using it mainly for snorkelling as most of the reef around here is pretty shallow, so available light should be reasonable). As a downside, I haven't heard much from users who've actually used one of these whilst diving on SCUBA. I'm still working up the courage to try taking my 10D/EWA-marine down with a tank on, but it is rated to 30 foot.

     

    Any comments, including from anyone who's used this housing or has a better idea for taking Canon DSLR's underwater, would be greatly appreciated!

  2. Nice picture, and you’re a brave soul to trust your Canon on a cheap used E-Bay box of heavy Saran wrap. All kidding aside, Ewa makes a great plastic inclosure made for depths of 30 ft. or less. This set up wouldn’t work at deeper depths because of the compression. At some point all of your cameras controls would be press in.

     

    All the Ewa bags I’ve been in contact with have had a flat port to shoot threw. Using a wide angle lens would not work properly. You need a dome port and possibly a diopter mounted on you lens so you could focus on the apparent image.

     

    Marc

  3. Oh you are a brave man!

     

    Being a retired dive Guide, I have seen many a camera die in one of those bags!

     

    Chris

  4. Heh, thanks guys. I mean, I was trying to impress you all that I'm a hard core diver, and it was either dive with the White Pointers off South Oz with a steak tied round my leg, or do the EWA-marine thing with my 10D. I figured most wetpixel divers would be more impressed with the latter... :rolleyes:

     

    Herb... the link to the photo.net article. Ok, that's actually the article that prompted me down the EWA-marine route, but when I read it I wished the reviewer had actually taken it for a dive. It's designed for diving (the manufacturers recommend it for snorkeling and scuba, and they're rated to 30 and 50 foot depending on the model). My initial feeling is that it should be an adequate housing for snorkel depths.

     

    Marc - the widest angle I and many other users are likely to use with a Canon DSLR is 17mm, which when multiplied by the 1.6 FOV crop factor is approx 24mm. My understanding was that chromatic and spherical aberation would not be too bad with a flat port at this focal length?. (Really wide angles are not possible with these cameras. I don't have AU$16,000 for a 1Ds to get true wide angle. When I do purchase that camera, even I am not going to put it in a plastic bag for diving!)

     

    Chris - Did you actually see cases yourself of these housings failing? If so, was it leaking from the locking plate, puncture, other mechanical failure, user error?. At what depths? Obviously, these are pretty vital questions for myself or anyone else who wants to take their camera diving.

     

    Thanks all for your comments.

  5. 24mm equivalent field of view would suffer from pincushoin distortion and CA when used with a flat port. Better than nothing at all of course. A flat port adds 4/3 magnification as well.

  6. Most if not all of the floods I witnessed were through the locking plate, this was most likely user error!

     

    Another issue is that the bag does not protect the camera from ambient pressure, therefore if you try to take it below the recommended depth, some controls may not work or even damage the camera at greater depths

     

    Note, that the most common floods were with Sea & Sea amphibious cameras and more recently the cheap (30 m) housings for consumer digital cameras, (with the exception of the Sony). The newer Olympus housings seem a little better built and I haven't seen on of these flood in the last year or so. I seldom saw a SLR housing flood and when they did it was almost always user error.

     

    Chris

  7. Hi Chris,

     

    I've decided to unlurk. :rolleyes:

     

    You wrote (since I have no clue how to quote):

     

    Another issue is that the bag does not protect the camera from ambient

    pressure, therefore if you try to take it below the recommended depth, some

    controls may not work or even damage the camera at greater depths

     

    Depending what is meant by "greater depths" I suppose. I believe (unless its been withdrawn) there is now a "housing" that will allow you to replenish contracted air via a hose from your tank system, limited only therefore by gas availability and however deep you wanna go yourself. Me? I'd call that yet another task loading the unnawata photographer doesn't need, or want.

     

    I'd say that the Ewa people have made their depth limitation based on a rough calculation of when the plastic might squeeze enough to activate the shutter button on a permanent basis.

     

    It's great for protecting your valuable equipment against harsh conditions above surface, as well as, with care, on the surface and shallowly (very) below it (but that last is moot IMO).

     

    Cheers,

     

    Christian

  8. Hi Christian

     

    Nice to see you on Wetpixel.

     

    Ewa has been around a while and the product is well made but it has many limitations. You get what you pay for!

     

    The idea of having a pressure equalizer in the housing is not a bad idea but like you, I do not need any more stuff to monitor on my dives, not to mention having yet another way for water to invade my camera.

     

    All the little buttons on my S2 housing have already added to my task loading :D therefore providing many more ways for me to screw up a good shot or worse delete it! :o

     

    Chris

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.