Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tokina 12-24 in Sea&Sea

Started by christianh ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Tokina 12-24 in Sea&Sea

10 posts
  1. Hi everyone,

     

    I am new to UW photographing with DSLR cameras, and recently bought a Sea&Sea DX-D70 (housing only).

    I've planned to use my Tokina 12-24 mm to begin with, since I feel I need to get some experience before investing into other lenses (I think this Tokina is the only lens I own that is suitable for UW).

     

    I'm looking for advice on which port to buy that will fit this lens. Or.. if it's a bad choice, someone please tell me :unsure: but I'm very satisfied with its results on land.

     

    I've tried to look at Sea&Sea's system charts, but couldn't quite figure it out by myself, so any input appreciated!

  2. I use the Tokina 12-24 with success behind the large NX fisheye dome with a 40mm ext ring and the +2 diopter. it makes for a pretty good shark lens.

  3. I agree with Jahred, get as large as can be, these super wide are very demanding on images corners performances, also he has the lens already so I would stand by his 40mm extension recommendation and the +2

     

    John: nice web site buddy!

    Edited by Viz'art
  4. Jean,

     

    Thx for the kind words, perhaps the OP wouldn't mind a small deviation from the topic. I am looking hard at the new d7000 to upgrade from my D200. I am considering a switch from Sea and Sea to another housing, maybe Aquatica because you seem to have a very good rapport with your customer base which is important to me.

     

    My concern is the cost associated with replacing my ports and spacers. I like my Sea and Sea ports and and would like to use adapters to continue using the ports, but I think your adapters change the spacing of the ports in relation to the lenses. I'm concerned that will adversely affect my setup. To my knowledge Nauticam adapters do not significantly change the spacing between the lens and ports/ext rings. Was wondering if you have information regarding setup and effects with Sea and Sea ports and various Nikon lenses with an Aquatica housing and port adapters. (I understand this is an oddball question). I appreciate your time.

     

    very respectfully,

    john

    Edited by jarhed
  5. Hi John, here is a revision charts that gives dimension of the adapter when used with extension, thing is they only have a few extension rings while we do have a wider range. these are used for optimizing the optical center of the lens with that of the dome or in a simpler way, to give proper space for installing the macro lens behind a flat port, it usefull to remember that when used behind a flat port an extension is solely used for its physical dimension, when used behind a dome the same extension is used for its optical property and its dimension does have a direct impat on the image quality.

    18471_Sea___Sea.pdf

  6. Jean,

     

    Many thanks, this is useful. I look forward to seeing your new housings!

     

    Appreciate your help,

    John

  7. I completely forgot about this thread (instead found a cheap unused flat port, which happened to fit also a Nikon 18-70mm lens), but will now look into large NX fisheye dome.

     

    Jarhed and others,

    Thanks a lot for the help!

    Edited by christianh
  8. Thanks Christian,

     

    Which dome did you end up using?

     

    Steve

  9. Which dome did you end up using?

     

    The one suggested by Jarhed: large fisheye dome and 40 extension ring.

    Edited by christianh
Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.