Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

D700 and 16mm Fishey

Started by dougbenc ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

D700 and 16mm Fishey

7 posts
  1. For anyone that has used the D700 with the Nikkor 16mm fisheye I would love some feedback. Does the combination work well together? How is sharpness? Have you ever tried to use the combination with a 1.4 converter.. Thanks in advance...

  2. For anyone that has used the D700 with the Nikkor 16mm fisheye I would love some feedback. Does the combination work well together? How is sharpness? Have you ever tried to use the combination with a 1.4 converter.. Thanks in advance...

    Works very well with or without the 1.4 TC. I use the 16mm with 1.4 TC frequently both for diving and pool work when I want something as wide as or wider than a rectilinear and I prefer a slight barrel distortion of the subject rather than the pincushion distortion of a rectilinear wide angle lens.

    Most of my pool work is shot with the 16mm 1.4 TC combination or 16-35 (Previously 17-35) depending on subject. I tend to use the 16 and TC more for full figure images and the 16-35 for portrait and torso work.

    www.waterworldimages.com

    Edited by loftus
  3. Works very well with or without the 1.4 TC. I use the 16mm with 1.4 TC frequently both for diving and pool work when I want something as wide as or wider than a rectilinear and I prefer a slight barrel distortion of the subject rather than the pincushion distortion of a rectilinear wide angle lens.

    Most of my pool work is shot with the 16mm 1.4 TC combination or 16-35 (Previously 17-35) depending on subject. I tend to use the 16 and TC more for full figure images and the 16-35 for portrait and torso work.

    www.waterworldimages.com

     

    Loftus - do you use the 16mm with or without the Nikon supplied filters at the back of the lens? I remember reading something before about not using the filter but cannot find anything...

  4. Not using the filter makes it focus marginally closer, but not much. It also stops it focusing on infinity on land.

     

    Many photographers (myself included) remove the filter on the back of the 16mm. But it is not essential.

     

    Alex

  5. Not using the filter makes it focus marginally closer, but not much. It also stops it focusing on infinity on land.

     

    Many photographers (myself included) remove the filter on the back of the 16mm. But it is not essential.

     

    Alex

     

    thanks Alex

  6. i got the 16mm then replaced it with the sigma 15mm FE, which i use with a 1.4x tc all the time. the nikon 16mm, while sharper, doesn't focus close enough at all. cheers,

     

    chris

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.