There is a lot of useful information on this forum about lighting techniques, composition etc. But I would love it if some of the more experienced u/w photographers out there could chime in with some good info on some of the basics with "equipment upkeep" habits.
So with that in mind, here is a list of questions that I put together that I think could help, not only myself, but many other beginners.
1. What is the best way to remove a port? Should you pull from the outside of the housing or push from the inside? I don't think there is much of a difference between domes and flats in this case.
CADiver> If it's Ikelite, they will come off pretty easily :-) Others usually a twist or turn. I think we often over tighten port which makes it hard to remove after dive. If you don't over tighten it, you will not have to use excssive force which is the potential of damaging the equipment.
2. Is there any specific way to store a housing to keep it in tip top shape? What about storing strobes and optical cables (or electrical syncs)?
CADiver> Again, it really depends upon the equipment, I tend to like not seal/lock the housing when storing at home, which basically not compressing the o-ring. Clean them, store them relax. I take off the o-ring if it's Iketlite (because it's easy), for my Nexus housing, I just leave it comfortably relax and not lock up the housing, cover the front port w/ the port cover. Ikelite strobe, I left the battery unattach. Inon strobe, I unscrew the battery compartment cap and let it relax. Everything store in a nice and dry rubber mate container. If you live in a humid place, you can drop some of those drier packs.
3. Should you do a seal test without the camera inside the housing every time you get wet? Practically speaking, this can be a pain, but I would like to know if people actually do it.
CADiver > Probably not, I never other then when it's brand new wet for the first time.
4. I've heard that chlorine in pools is harder on your camera than salt water. First, is this true? Second, is there anything people do differently with their equipment after they have put it in the pool?
CADiver > I don't really have any opportunity to take pictures in a pool, photo students ? :-) I would however mention when diving from a boat, try to encourage people not rinse their mask where the camera is soaking, the stuff they put in the mask for defgogging are not nice to o-ring in the long run.
5. Lastly, if there is anything I am missing on here that you think I should have (staying with the focus of equipment upkeep for beginners), then I would be eternally grateful for the advice.
CADiver > Mostly common sense and good habits. Sand, grits, salt & excessive rough handling are your equipment's enemies.
Cheers Gents (and ladies).