Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Wide angle with a single strobe

Started by wmiller ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Wide angle with a single strobe

5 posts
  1. Hi,

    I would eventually like to shoot some wide angle. But I don't want to add a second strobe right now. How wide could I go with 1 strobe?

     

    Here is my setup:

    Canon Rebel Xti

    Seatool housing/port

    Inon-D-2000 strobe

    Canon 60mm

     

    I do have the new Canon 18-55 IS kit lens but the manual gear ring doesn't fit so I wasn't able to try it last week. Would I be better off with a fixed lens?

     

    Thanks,

    Wendy

  2. Hi,

    I would eventually like to shoot some wide angle. But I don't want to add a second strobe right now. How wide could I go with 1 strobe?your

     

    Here is my setup:

    Canon Rebel Xti

    Seatool housing/port

    Inon-D-2000 strobe

    Canon 60mm

     

    I do have the new Canon 18-55 IS kit lens but the manual gear ring doesn't fit so I wasn't able to try it last week. Would I be better off with a fixed lens?

     

    Thanks,

    Wendy

    At a max. of 74 deg. (like 29 mm for a full frame) this lens is modestly wide. I think your D2000 covers 100 deg., but will have light fall off. I think you will want a dome port, so just set up your camera with the strobe in a darken room. Shoot at a wall. With the dome port in water, you will have the same angle of view as the lens in air. You be the judge.

    Bob

  3. It is very possible to use one strobe for wide angle. I often switch one of mine off.

     

    Given that a WA shot will include an amount of blue in the frame you seldom need the strobe to illuminate corner to corner.

  4. It is not a problem to shoot wide angle with a single strobe, but it is usually better than one. If your single strobe is suitably powerful/wide enough you can light a large area - enough to shoot single strobe with even a 180˚ fisheye lens.

     

    Your D2000 is not the widest or most powerful strobe - but as Bob points out - your 18-55mm lens is not particularly wide either.

     

    This example shot (taken inside a wreck so completely dark and therefore no ambient light to help out) is lit with a single Subtronic flash - which is able to cover most of the view of my fisheye. There are two flashes here (my second one is inside the cab of the truck) but is not adding to the foreground light.

     

    RS10_am-13.jpg

     

    Alex

  5. Thanks for the input. I'll try the 18-55 inside the housing topside to see how it works.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.