Pam,
I am JUST back from the same trip - back just a few days now! Aqua C. does have internet cafe's. My hotel at Aqua C. had a computer in the lobby for use as well.. which is what I did. Hauling a Laptop to Aqua C. would be a pain and I am glad I did not do it. I did carry a 500gb USB drive.
Most of the computers at Aqua C and Cuzco had USB ports but some only had them in the back. You can slide the computer forward at reach them. Internet cafes are cheap, about $2/hr for SLOW connections.
I took extra 16gb SD cards so I knew I had enough for 2 days at Machu, shooting JPEG+RAW on the D90. Enough SD cards for the trek as well. Thus only downloading between trekking and Machu. A 16 gb card on the D90, shooting RAW+Jpeg was giving me 700 + pics/card.
Take the recommendations about long pants and long sleeves seriously at Machu Picchu..and the recommendation for DEET on those clothes. You will see those that did not and paid the price of dozens, if not hundreds, of bug bites. I went with short sleeves for 3 hours hiking up Way. Machu. I got about 20 bites on the uncovered areas in those 3 hours. Places I kept covered and sprayed had zero bites.
Machu P. is hot during mid-day. light long pants and light long sleeves are worth it. Machu P. at 06:00 can be worth a windbreaker. Clouds cleared around 9-10 am both days there, started out like pea-soup at 06:30.
The hike up Way. Machu is worth it - as is taking the early trip for it. The hike up to the Sun Gate is also worth it. If you cannot make Sungate, go at least 1/3 of the way up for some great views back to machu P.
You MUST be in line at 3:57 am for the ticket to early hike Way. Machu or H. Machu. By 4:10 am, the line is too long for the early ticket. I arrived at 3:59 and nearly missed it. All hotels seem to tell the guest to be at the bus terminal at 04:00 so the line difference betweeen 03:57 and 04:05 is over 50 people.
There is a shop that opens at 4:00 by the bus line. You can get coffee, coca tea, snacks there at reasonable prices. The shop does a good business as you have 90 minutes of waiting. Your hotel can give you a 'bag lunch'. Their idea of a sandwich in the bag lunch is ONE slice of meat or cheese on a 1/2 size slice of bread.
Buy your bus ticket the night before the bus ride. I think they are open to at least 9pm. They do open prior to the buses leaving but you do not want to have to mess with it then. You did not get in line at 03:55 to have confusion over having a bus ticket.
People queue up at the entrance to Way. Picchu around 07:00. They did not check my ticket to see I had the required stamp. Therefore, it appears they often just allow the first 200 to sign in and go...if you have the stamp and are late, you might not get to go until the second shift - when its starting to get hot. ALSO, when in line at machu P entrance , they coming stamping and do not talk about it. One pair is stamping and writing with a black marker for the LATE hike up. Make certain you get the EARLY stamp only..no black marker. I got the wrong one at first as I had no idea what they were doing.
Both a 18-200 and 12-24 Nikon were nice to have on the trip.
The 12-24 can give some nice chances for photo's on the train trip if you have light but have the camera ISO set high enough to stop the action. The train goes fairly slowly. You usually do not see the photo ops coming, you just have to be completely ready for a quick snap.
The mountains/valleys around the Sacred Valley region have smoke from grass burning, which hurts some of the great views. trying to address the haze in post shows it not to be so easy.
There are taller mountains and further east from Machu that you cannot see in the early fog/mist. As the sun comes up, they are back lit which can open some nice photo ops with 2 ranges in misty view and parts of Machu as a foreground, depending on your position.
The ONLY bathroom at Machu is outside the entrance. You pay 1 Sol for it ($0.33) per trip. There are a few places to sneak in a quick break if you are adventurous and willing to hike off a bit.
There is a cafe by the bathroom that opens at 07:00. The cafe seemed to have good food but I did not try it.
I would follow your plan, no laptop, portable HD, extra SD cards. Let me know if you have more questions.
I am traveling the next 5 days and may miss looking here. feel free to PM me on this trip if you have more questions.