Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Congrats to NCUPS Winners

Started by james ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Congrats to NCUPS Winners

14 posts
  1. Hi Folks,

     

    Some of us have known for a while, but the results are now public on the NCUPS website:

     

    http://www.ncups.org/sea03/Sea2003winners.html

     

    In the order in which they appear:

     

    Intermediate Macro Digital

    1st Herb Ko

    "Squid Close-Up"

     

    Novice Wide/Normal Digital

    1st Rand McMeins

    "C-52"

     

    And "Wetpixellers" SWEEP the intermediate WA digital category with:

     

    Intermediate Wide/Normal Digital

    1st Eric Cheng

    " Night Dolphin"

     

    2nd Herb Ko

    " Fish Trail"

     

    3rd Eric Cheng

    " Mixed Dolphin Pod"

     

    HW Kasey Canton

    "Green Turtle"

     

    HM Eric Cheng

    " Great White Shark"

     

    And a HUGE congratulations to Eric for his "Best of Show" digital shot "Night Dolphin"

     

    Way to go gang! I'm glad that NCUPS has put together a contest where film and digital shooters can both compete.

     

    Cheers

    James

  2. Thanks.

     

    Kasey also got 3rd in Intermediate Print.

  3. Thanks Herb - gosh, the print category just totally slipped my mind ;o)

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. Congratulations for all of you!

    It’s great to see the folks we know here in the top of U/W photo world.

  5. Congratulations too! Fantastic news.

  6. Well done all.

  7. Outstanding!

  8. Ahem, if I may be so bold as to toot my own horn, I also

    had winning entries in the latest NCUPS competition.

     

    I took first, second, and third place (a clean sweep!) in

    the Novice Digital Macro category.

     

    These photos were taken with my very first underwater

    photography rig, and it had many problems that I overcame

    with field repairs. I wouldn't have taken more than a handful

    of pictures on that trip if it weren't for duct tape, superglue,

    and rubber bands - no joke!

     

    I won a week-long liveaboard cruise in the Bahamas

    on the Aquacat. It wouldn't have been my first choice

    in destinations, but somehow getting it for free has

    provided tremendous leverage in convincing my wife

    to take another vacation this winter :D

  9. Hi Bobeson,

    Congratulations for sure on the sweep. I had entered several "Can't miss" LOL! pics in the Macro Novice and you knocked them all out with some great shots.

    Where were the pics taken? And what are you shooting with?

    Rand

  10. Congratulations to all (and again to Kasey for the shots in the other competion in the thread down below).

  11. I took those shots with a Nikon D100 in a Subal D10 housing.

    I don't recall what lighting I was using on each of the different

    shots, but I alternated between using dual YS90-DX strobes

    and a housed SB80DX. I was most likely using one YS90-DX

    with a sync cord and one in slave mode for those shots,

    since the SB80DX housing was giving me so much grief.

     

    I believe that all three of the winning shots were taken in

    Indonesia, near Komodo, but I would have to search through

    my archives to be certain. They were taken on a two-month

    trip through Sipidan (Malaysia), Papua New Guinea, Bali/Komodo,

    Manado (Indonesia), and the Lembeh Straits. I came home

    with almost 5,000 digital pictures, and selected over 300 keepers.

    Despite this, I had a tough time picking shots to enter, as the

    ones I liked the most usually had lighting problems because of

    the equipment issues I was having. I'm surprised that the

    anemone fish shot took first place, because it's such a cliche

    subject, but I suppose the picture is a good one.

  12. Well done the Wetpixellers are wellpixelling more and more.. :D

    Just for curiosity: is it a local contest, where you have to live in cali?

    I wish we had such nice socities here in Germany too.

  13. The contest is open to everyone. They had entries and winners from Europe.

  14. SHH don't tell them. hahaha

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.