Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Issues with Canon 40D while traveling

Started by glamourpuss ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Issues with Canon 40D while traveling

4 posts
  1. So I've been having issues with my canon 40D lately.

     

    It's started out with the occasional Err 01:

     

    "Err 01

    Communication between the camera and lens is faulty.

    Clean the lens contacts."

     

    I've cleaned the contacts, and that hasn't really helped, and it's starting to get worse. It happens with all 3 of my lenses (18-55mm, 50mm, & 60mm macro) so I'm assuming this is a camera problem, not a lens issue. I've been getting by and dealing with this, by turning the camera off and then back on again and it seems to go away for 5-10 pics, then comes back. Yesterday however I was halfway through a dive, and the camera just stopped taking pics. I was using the 18-55mm lens and and it just stopped auto focusing, and I couldn't take any pics. When I got on land, I tried switching to manual focus, it took a couple pics, and then stopped. I got home, tried my other lenses, replaced the battery and same thing, just wouldn't take a picture at all. Today I picked it up to give another try and it started working. I snapped about 4 or 5 pics both with auto focus & manual, then got the Err 01, turned it off and back on, and now it repeatedly gives me Err 01.

     

    All of this tells me I should send it back to Canon, and get them to look at it. The problem is I'm currently in Mexico for 2 and a half more weeks, then Ft. Lauderdale for 2 days, then Roatan Honduras for 3 months. So the return shipping is kind of a problem.

     

    Questions: Has anyone experiences these symptoms and had it fixed by Canon? If so how much did it cost to fix? Is it possible/worth it to fix?

     

    As far as I see it here are my options:

     

    Options #1: Wait till I get to Ft. Lauderdale, and find a repair shop that can take a look at it. Questions: Does anyone know a repair shop in Ft. Lauderdale? And is this even possible in 2 days?

    Options #2: Ship it to Canon from here in Playa Del Carmen, and have them return ship it to the dive shop I'm using in Roatan. Hopefully all fixed and good as new. However this leaves me without a camera for 4-6 weeks. Assuming they can even fix it at all. Definitely not ideal!

     

    Anyway, would appreciate any advice or thoughts from anyone who might have experienced a similar situation.

     

    Thanks!

  2. PM sent.

  3. If you travel a lot & would like a working camera all the time then consider a backup. Buy another 40D. Problems out of country are not the easiest to have repaired, as you're finding out. A backup would save lots of hassle & inconvenience. Repair when you return home.

    Edited by jcclink
  4. If you travel a lot & would like a working camera all the time then consider a backup. Buy another 40D. Problems out of country are not the easiest to have repaired, as you're finding out. A backup would save lots of hassle & inconvenience. Repair when you return home.

     

    This is exactly what I was thinking. Used 40D bodies are selling for $460-$580 on Ebay and FredMiranda. Heck you might consider getting a 50D since they fit/work in 40D housings.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.