Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Lookin to buy a good digital camera

Started by dibrid ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Lookin to buy a good digital camera

4 posts
  1. -,

    I am willing to spend $400 (US) to buy a good digital camera. I am gonna use it for normal standard use and some art use. I want a large LCD screen, and expandable memory. I have heard canon (A70 or A80) is good, but I was wondering if there are any other suggestions. Thank you. VS out. check.

  2. Do you want to use the camera underwater someday? I only ask because there are many good sites with standard camera reviews. Because this particular site is dedicated to underwater photography, you may not get exposed to the full range of answers you would get if you went to one of the sites like:

     

    http://www.steves-digicams.com

    http://www.dpreview.com

    http://www.imaging-resource.com

    http://www.dcresource.com

     

    and there are others. There are other factors to consider like how much zoom you want, how much resolution ("number of megapixels"), how big the camera is, etc. When you say "for art use", what do you mean? Do you plan to make big enlargements? If that is the case, then $400 sounds a bit optimistic to me . . . For my latest digicam purchase, I wanted a small camera I could take with me anywhere -- my two other digicams, an Olympus C-5050z (that I use underwater), and a Canon EOS 10D (that I use above water "for art use") are simply too big to carry around conveniently all the time. I also prefered at least 4MP, so I could enlarge to 11x17 if I had to. So, I narrowed my search down to the two most likley candidates out there, the Canon digital ELPH S400 and the Pentax Optio S4. I chose the Pentax simply because it is a bit smaller. It is also about $40 cheaper. The Canon A80 is also a good performer, but I simply wanted to go with something truly "pocketable" for snapshots . . .

     

    Hope this helps a little bit.

     

    Mike

  3. -,

      I am willing to spend $400 (US) to buy a good digital camera.  I am gonna use it for normal standard use and some art use.  I want a large LCD screen, and expandable memory.  I have heard canon (A70 or A80) is good, but I was wondering if there are any other suggestions.  Thank you.  VS out. check.

    If you're still looking for a camera. You may wish to have a look at my home page where I've posted a few shots taken with my PowerShot A70.

     

    http://pages.globetrotter.net/cdrolet/

     

    Clément

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.