Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tokina 10-17mm vs Nikkor 10.5mm

Started by Aussiebyron ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Tokina 10-17mm vs Nikkor 10.5mm

6 posts
  1. Hi All,

     

    I had the chance to borrow a friends brand new Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye so I can compare it with my Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye. I basically shoot alot of Grey nurse sharks and thought I take the opportunity to comapre the two lenses with the subjects I shoot. I used my Aquatica housed D90 with 2x Ikelite DSD125's.

     

    I noticed straight away that I had to shoot at say f7.1 for the Nikkor 10.5mm when I would normally get the same shot with the Tokina 10-17mm on 10mm at f8.

     

    Is there a review somewhere comparing the two lenses in a more techincal format than just my observation?

     

    Any others opinion/observations between the two lenses?

     

    will try an post some pics later.

     

    Regards Mark

    Edited by Aussiebyron
  2. I did see the review of the two lenses back in 2007 by Stephen Frink. Which made me wonder if anyone else has observed any simialar observations which I have made between the two lenses?

     

    Regards Mark

  3. 4897908978_ce6e2e06cf.jpg

    4897319903_1a699c69fe.jpg

    4897323395_a2dfe79966.jpg

     

    Here are some examples with the Nikon 10.5mm shot at f8 1/100th. I would normally shoot these guys at f8 1/160th with the Tokina

     

    Regards Mark

  4. Hello Mark,

     

    I have both lenses so I can tell you my findings.

     

    First the Nikon 10.5mm is a little wider than the Tokina at the 10mm end.

    The Nikon has a little more fisheye effect. This can be seen in the viewfinder.

     

    The sharpness is not comparable. It's like a Nikon 18-70 vs Nikon 17-55.

     

    For me the Nikon is more contrasty than the Tokina. But on this point it's hard

    to compare.

     

    For you exposure change, I suspect the Nikon to be better taken into account

    by the metering system. In aperture mode (Average Matrix measure) with the

    Tokina (plain water subject 1 or 2 meter deep sun at noon) I ended up with

    -2EV compensation whereas with the Nikon it was spot-on. Don't know for

    deeper subject.

     

    Regards

    Stéphane

  5. Silly question - which one is sharper? I have not used either one and have very limited wide angle experience.

  6. Hello Mark,

     

    I have both lenses so I can tell you my findings.

     

    First the Nikon 10.5mm is a little wider than the Tokina at the 10mm end.

    The Nikon has a little more fisheye effect. This can be seen in the viewfinder.

     

    The sharpness is not comparable. It's like a Nikon 18-70 vs Nikon 17-55.

     

    For me the Nikon is more contrasty than the Tokina. But on this point it's hard

    to compare.

     

    For you exposure change, I suspect the Nikon to be better taken into account

    by the metering system. In aperture mode (Average Matrix measure) with the

    Tokina (plain water subject 1 or 2 meter deep sun at noon) I ended up with

    -2EV compensation whereas with the Nikon it was spot-on. Don't know for

    deeper subject.

     

    Regards

    Stéphane

     

    Hi Stephane,

     

    Thank you for your reply. I also noticed that the 10.5mm was a little bit wider than the Tokina @ 10mm. Noticed mainly with backscatter in the far corners when shooting with the 10.5mm in really Green water. You can see slightly in the shots I have attached above in green water (6-8m vis).

     

    Unfortunately my subjects are normally at 20m mark so I only really can give my observations between the two lenses based at this depth. Hopefully I can play with lens more in summer clear water here with Manta's and Leopard sharks. Which I can shoot at 12m or so but in gin clear water.

     

    Regards Mark

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.