Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Resizing URPRO Filter

Started by SimonSpear ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Resizing URPRO Filter

5 posts
  1. Hi all

     

    Has anyone ever tried to re-size a UR PRO filter? I've got some thick plastic 85mm(ish) filters that I've used externally in the past and I wanted to cut them up to reduce the size to 77mm and 72mm which are what I now need. I keep building up to this, but back down at the last minute so I'd welcome any input from anyone else who has re-sized! :crazy:

     

    Cheers, Simon

  2. Might check with a lens maker (like for eye glasses). They should have proper equipment to safety modify the filters without scratching the surface. I recall that one surface is colored & other side is clear. If this is true, color surface may not be scratched or it will become unusable.

    Edited by jcclink
  3. Hi all

     

    Has anyone ever tried to re-size a UR PRO filter? I've got some thick plastic 85mm(ish) filters that I've used externally in the past and I wanted to cut them up to reduce the size to 77mm and 72mm which are what I now need. I keep building up to this, but back down at the last minute so I'd welcome any input from anyone else who has re-sized! :crazy:

     

    Cheers, Simon

     

     

    Something else to consider (lenses for the 7D?) are checking out to see if URPRO has 77mm or 72mm filters that will work, may be wroth the less hassle/money trade off in the long run

     

    http://www.urprofilters.com/storeHome.do

     

    Also Magic Filters are an option.

  4. Thanks guys. Drew URPRO do sell a 77mm filter, but they only do that size in glass and it's like $250+ so I was looking for a cheaper alternative. I've used Magic Filters and I'll probably continue to do so, but I have not found them anywhere near as effective as the URPRO filters.

     

    Cheers, Simon

  5. Any place that makes glasses should be able to cut your len's filter down to size, either for free, or for really cheap. Put an ipod screen protector on both sides of the center of filter to protect the fabrication equipment from scratching the surface of your filter. The fabrication equipment holds the lens in the center. The ipod or cell phone screen protector will prevent scratching.

    Edited by Don in Colorado
Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.