Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sea & Sea housing service recommendations?

Started by kbrunham ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea & Sea housing service recommendations?

5 posts
  1. According to Sea and Sea, there are 3 approved service centers in North America which can perform annual service, but in contacting them there is a 100% difference in price between the least and most expensive. While the old saying of "you get what you paid for" may apply here, a 250$ price difference is significant.

     

    What are the best places you've found to have these housing serviced?

     

    Thanks.

  2. According to Sea and Sea, there are 3 approved service centers in North America which can perform annual service, but in contacting them there is a 100% difference in price between the least and most expensive. While the old saying of "you get what you paid for" may apply here, a 250$ price difference is significant.

     

    What are the best places you've found to have these housing serviced?

     

    Thanks.

    Pacific Housing Repair in Salinas. I don't know if they are expensive or cheap, (I never compared) but they are quite good and reasonably fast.

    Bill

  3. I believe I can service my S&S housing myself; changing the o-rings is no rocket science. That done, send it for hydrostatic test and I think the job can be accomplished. The problem I am facing is S&S would not sell the o-rings other than the one for the housing and the other user-serviceable ones. Can someone help throw some light on where and how to get the o-rings? Thx.

  4. I believe I can service my S&S housing myself; changing the o-rings is no rocket science. That done, send it for hydrostatic test and I think the job can be accomplished. The problem I am facing is S&S would not sell the o-rings other than the one for the housing and the other user-serviceable ones. Can someone help throw some light on where and how to get the o-rings? Thx.

    There are many sources for metric and Japanese Metric (strange half sizes JIS specifications) o-rings. I am almost 100% certain that S&S will not go to the trouble to make non-standard rods and o-rings. Measure them carefully then go to Apple Rubber or Seal and Design and get what you need.

    Bill

  5. There are many sources for metric and Japanese Metric (strange half sizes JIS specifications) o-rings. I am almost 100% certain that S&S will not go to the trouble to make non-standard rods and o-rings. Measure them carefully then go to Apple Rubber or Seal and Design and get what you need.

    Bill

     

    Thank you, Bill. Agree that S&S and most mfrs would not go for non-standard components. Apart from the size, what is your opinion on the hardness of the o-rings?

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.