Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Subal or Jonah

Started by bvanant ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Subal or Jonah

2 posts
  1. I am looking for a new housing for a Canon 10D. I am not particularly fond of the Sea and Sea D60 housing, particularly the viewfinder which is hard for my old eyes to see through very well. I am looking at the Subal and Jonah housings and am wondering if there are any opinions from someone who has seen both. Most of the stuff I shoot will be macro and ports shouldn't be a problem since the Jonah can use the Subal ports. One interesting option is the fact that you can use TTL with the Jonah and a housed 420EX strobe. I am aware that the build quality is probably a little different i.e. the Subal is probably finished nicer but are there other objective or subjective differences. Money is only a minor issue, I am more interested in the quality of the housings and ease of use and particularly in the viewfinders.

     

    Thanks in advance.

    Bill

  2. If money is not an issue then I would recommend to go for the SUBAL housing. The finishing is much nicer. I have had both housings in my hand and would love to own a SUBAL, but I have dived only with the JONAH.

     

    Concerning TTL: It is not an outstanding feature of any housing manufacturer. In fact you can use E-TTL with the SUBAL and with the JONAH housings. The S6 socket is available for both. Please also note that several JONAH housings were shipped without the correct wiring of the socket. I had to rewire it to make my UK-GERMANY strobe housing work. Anyway I have forwarded the correct wiring Dr. Kim and it should not be an issue with future housings anymore.

     

    Viewfinder is a general problem of the 10D and no housing will solve it. I mean you cannot enhance what you cannot see. If you want an enlargement of the viewfinder you should take a look at SEALUX, since they offer an optional GRAND VIEWFINDER for their 10D housing. But my very personal opinion is that the normal viewfinders are fine. What annoys me is the fact that I cannot see corners when I want to frame. But that is normal unless you buy a more pro camera.

     

    Concerning the macro ports... there should be no need for SUBAL macro ports if you take the JONAH. The Jonah macro ports are excellent. The adapter would be quite confusing to buy more expensive ports.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.