Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

travel presents

Started by diver dave1 ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

travel presents

11 posts
  1. My daughter called from a town of 60 in the Peruvian Andes from their only pay phone yesterday. I go to visit her there quite soon. She asked me to bring peanut butter and little girls hair ties. Hair ties are hard to find, apparently, and peanut butter is well liked but expensive. I am also bringing children's vitamins at her request as they are also expensive. I hope to be a well received visitor in a few days. I am hoping my 6 lbs of peanut butter gets ignored at customs.

     

    So I was wondering about those here that travel to remote lands. If someone at that end knew what was expensive or hard to get there but would cost little or be trivial for the traveler, we might become even more welcome than just bringing money to spend. Since most of us travel to someplace others here have visited, does it make sense to have some thread, listing or method to communicate what would be meaningful at the other end?

     

    For another example, I plan to visit Bali and Alor in Oct. Many here have been to Bali and some to Alor. What would be a welcome gift for those that carry my gear for the shore diving at Tulamben? What would be a welcome present to the dive guides on the liveaboard at Alor?

     

    Seems if there was a reasonable method of communication as to what was popular, we might share the goods of our home with those at the other end and make a more pleasing connection. Seems better that appearing to be a walking cash dispenser.

    What do you think?

  2. Always a good idea Dave. We try to pack coloring books and colored pencils for the school in the closest village. We started doing that when going to Fiji. On the last trip we took Fin Foundation tee shirts for the boat crew. They enjoyed knowing that they are helping to educate our kids, and somewhat selfishly on my part they are walking around Bali with shirts that say " 400 million years of evolution shouldn't end up in a bowl of soup" on the back.

     

    Have a great time with your daughter!

     

    Steve

  3. Good idea for a thread Dave.

     

    As a general rule, having worked and traveled in lots of low-income village based countries, I think the most important criteria in choosing your gifts is their longevity and their impact on the local environment. Keep in mind that waste disposal is a fairly modern problem not well addressed in many countries so anything with batteries, plastic packaging, or disposable is a bad idea. Consider purely practical items such as wind up flashlights or radios, basic medication (bandages, antibiotic creams, antiseptic etc.), cheap "prescription" reading glasses, biodegradable school supplies (no felt pens or plastic pens) such as crayons, pencils, and paper and practical clothing. Speaking of clothing, I have met a few travelers that pack only the clothes they rarely wear and leave them all behind when they leave - saves space in your luggage to bring home souvenirs and clears out your wardrobe at the same time.

  4. I'll join Josh in suggesting that people consider the area before deciding on what gifts. I tend to give books and clothing. No plastics or stuff that'll break in 10 days and be dumped.

    The ladies who work at Tulamben beach will be wearing all sorts of t-shirts from people who leave their stuff behind. Last time I checked there weren't any kids working on Tulamben beach front so you'd be giving these gear bearers stuff for their kids in the village.

    The liveaboard crew, usually work hard and save their money to splurge when they hit land or home. Guides usually need wetsuits (since they dive the most) so thick new neoprene is always appreciated. I usually leave my titanium shirts and hoods for the local DM. I don't give anything other than the main tip to the foreign DMs, since they get paid a lot more than locals. Unless you give them a phone, forget ipods etc. They have no computers to upload music etc.

    Beside the practical gifts (like neoprene/equipment to the dive guides), t-shirts are probably the most affable gift which have use.

  5. American Dollars work well too. :D One size fits all, unlike t-shirts. :P The dollars can also be targeted towards the most pressing of needs for the individual so as to make their lives much more endurable.

     

    Not sure, but don't be surprised if your peanut butter gets confiscated at the border. It's much better to buy local even at the more expensive price. That way you know the intended recipient will actually get the gift without interference from customs officials.

  6. On one trip we bought along some basic medical supplies, gloves, bandages, CPR Masks, tape etc. I had spoken with people from the local hospital/Red Cross and they said those things were often difficult and expensive to get.

    Edited by TheRealDrew
  7. definitely agree with leaving your dive gear such as suits and fins :D

  8. definitely agree with leaving your dive gear such as suits and fins :P

     

     

    Probably a good idea to let people know your size and brand preferences ahead of time :D

  9. nah, not too many people bring free diving fins or 7mm wetsuits to Indonesia so it ain't for me... :D

  10. Good idea for a topic! In the past I have taken on various trips to Indonesia, colored pencils which seemed to have gone over very well for the children. Also for fun, some temporary marine life tatoos.

    Generally I carry a spare mask along , that I leave behind, as well as wetsuits that still have some time on them. T-shirts have always been more than welcomed. Also try and leave behind any medical supplies and tools, that I can easily replace once back in the states.

    This past trip, I gifted reuseable bags to each of the liveaboard crew. After being horrified at the number of plastic bags I saw floating in the harbors two years prior, decided that by helping to educate a few, they in turn would perhaps encourage others to follow their lead. These gifts are not in place of a tip, but as an added thank you for the total experience.

    Another couple i traveled with, brought several soccer balls with inflators to gift to the village children, which I thought was another great idea.

    Edited by Quinn
  11. On a liveaboard trip on the Junk a couple of years ago, I took some hand made sea themed soaps from "Lush" the crew loved them!! really did, even the Scottish dive guide, Keith!

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.