Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

60mm teleconverter

Started by DuckPhat ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

60mm teleconverter

10 posts
  1. Hi all

     

    Hope someone can help point me in the right direction regarding a telecoverter for my newly bought (and first ever photo rig) second hand set-up

     

    I currently have a Nikon d70 in a Subal housing with a 60mm lens

     

    i'm looking to get a teleconverter to help with my macro photos

     

    i have looked on ebay and some dedicated underwater photos shops and the prices vary greatly from something like this on ebay

     

    http://cgi.ebay.com/2x-AF-Teleconverter-Le...t=Camera_Lenses (hope i'm allowed to post this)

     

    to somewhere in the region of 500 dollars on some underwater photo sites? What should i be looking for?

     

    Also what extension ring do i need for my subal to accomodate the lens

     

    Cheers

     

    Craig

  2. Why not go for +2 or +3 diopter instead? Maybe closer distance will give you what you want, and much cheaper.

     

    If you go for teleconverter, ring will be dependent on its length. Just write Subal, and they'll respond quickly.

    Though, for macro, a cheap teleconverter will likely affect image quality.

     

    If you can afford, check Reefnet, http://reefnet.ca/products/subsee/

    Fairly compact pkg as opposed to other externals, and you can use as desired.

     

     

    Hi all

     

    Hope someone can help point me in the right direction regarding a telecoverter for my newly bought (and first ever photo rig) second hand set-up

     

    I currently have a Nikon d70 in a Subal housing with a 60mm lens

     

    i'm looking to get a teleconverter to help with my macro photos

     

    i have looked on ebay and some dedicated underwater photos shops and the prices vary greatly from something like this on ebay

     

    http://cgi.ebay.com/2x-AF-Teleconverter-Le...t=Camera_Lenses (hope i'm allowed to post this)

     

    to somewhere in the region of 500 dollars on some underwater photo sites? What should i be looking for?

     

    Also what extension ring do i need for my subal to accomodate the lens

     

    Cheers

     

    Craig

  3. Thickness/width of teleconverter = thickness/width of extension ring. If you decide to use a diopter make sure that the 60mm macro port is long enough to accommodate the diopter. An extension ring could also be required for this.

    Edited by jcclink
  4. I'm not sure about this, but someone with a background in lens design or optics might be able to say what the teleconverter will do to the macro function of the lens. I have a sneaking suspicion that the overall magnification at closest focus may not change much. A diopter on a 60mm is challenging as the subject is brought very close to the lens; a teleconverter will, at the minimum, reduce depth of field by losing 1-2 stops. I've used my 105mm VR with a teleconverter as a makeshift "300mm" telephoto lens, but I wouldn't try it with a cheap teleconverter, or underwater. The expensive Nikon teleconverters won't work with a 60mm lens, but a Kenko might.

     

    There's so much that works with a "bare" 60mm lens that I would use it vigorously before trying to be clever.

     

    Tim

     

    :D

  5. A 1.4 teleconverter on the 60 mm macro lens will change 1:1 to 1.4:1 so you will get some magnification and a longer (84 mm) focal length at the cost of 1 stop of light. I would recommend the Tamron/Sigma/Kenko versions. You can find these for about $200 U.S.

    Image quality is quite good. Adding an external wet lens like the MacroMate or SubSee is another option but not so useful on the 60 mm.

     

    Cheers

    Bill

  6. One other option for the 60mm is to use a Woody's Diopter on the end of your port.

     

    From what I understand the MacroMate or SubSee will vignette? on a 60mm and are for use with longer focal lengths such as 105mm.

     

    Personally I intend to get a Kenko 1.4 TC for use with both the Nikkor 60mm and Tokina 10-17mm.

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  7. One other option for the 60mm is to use a Woody's Diopter on the end of your port.

     

    From what I understand the MacroMate or SubSee will vignette? on a 60mm and are for use with longer focal lengths such as 105mm.

     

    Personally I intend to get a Kenko 1.4 TC for use with both the Nikkor 60mm and Tokina 10-17mm.

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

    I don't know about the Macromate but the new Subsee does not vignette at all on the Canon 60.

    Bill

  8. I don't know about the Macromate but the new Subsee does not vignette at all on the Canon 60.

    Bill

     

    Good news! If that's the case with the Nikkor 60mm AF-S as well, then I'll have to seriously look into it.

     

    Could Keri or someone else from ReefNet confirm this please? I had a look at the site but couldn't see from there.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  9. I have use a kenko pro-3000 TC with my 60mm AF-D. Basically turns the 60mm into a 120mm but with 2:1 image size. I actually fitted the 60mm with TC into my 105mm Af port (Ikelite). I had limited use with the setup as I mostly shoot wide, but I had open the aperture 2-3 stops to make up for the loss of light. This was also done before I had bought a decent Focusing light. Decent focus light is a must for this setup as the lens searched alot of times in lower light conditions.

     

    Regards Mark

  10. Ditto what Bill said. Many of us in so-cal regularly use the Tamron or Kenko Pro 1.4 teleconverter for macro with the 60mm. They will cost around $200-$220 in the US.

     

    good luck,

    Scott

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.