I am thinking about diving with my dive computer (wrist mount, non-AI) attached to my camera rather than on my arm. Some considerations:
- I'm not going to ditch or get separated from my camera, no way, no how. Anything happens to the camera, the dive is over. Any emergency ascent, it's going with me.
- The camera will be in front of me and in my line of sight all the time. I do not clip off the camera to do other things -- I am an active shooter at all times while diving (it's my reason for going in the water).
- My camera is on a tether and neutral to a couple oz. buoyant. Even if I should let go of it for some reason, it will never float more than a foot or two above me, so the computer will still register my profile very accurately.
- I like to watch my computer closely yet continue shooting during safety stops. Right now that's inconvenient. It might seem that I can see it on my wrist while I continue to hold the right handle, but that hasn't really been the case.
- I think I'll look at it more often if it's mounted on my camera.
Anyway, rather than get beat up Scubaboard (the "you're going to die" forum), I thought I'd see if anyone here on Wetpixel does this and what their experience has been.
bk