Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon 18-55mm lens in Subal housing

Started by AlanU ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon 18-55mm lens in Subal housing

5 posts
  1. Is anyone using one of the Nikon 18-55mm lenses in a Subal housing? It seems to be a common option for Sea & Sea housings but is not mentioned on the Subal port selection pages.

     

    If anyone is using this lens could they tell me which zoom gear to use, and which port?

     

    There are three variants of this lens with different dimensions, so it would be helpful to specify which lens works for you.

     

    The lenses are:

     

    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor

    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor

    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-S DX NIKKOR

     

    (in other words the mark 1, the mark 2 and the VR)

     

    Many thanks

  2. In case anyone is interested in the answer to this, the VR version of this lens requires zoom lens gear 4ZN835 (which doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on the Subal website), and the FP-68 flat port. I assume a dome port would also be possible.

     

    Thanks to Harald Karl of Nautica, Austria, for sorting this out for me.

    Edited by AlanU
  3. I would use a dome port for these lens, not a flat port. I would suggest you contact Subal directly or Ryan at Reef Photo regarding zoom gears and extension size for the dome. Ryan has helped me setup a lens and I highly recommend him.

  4. I should say that I specifically asked Harald Karl about flat port options, because my budget doesn't stretch to a dome port at the moment.

     

    Thanks for the advice though.

  5. My understanding is that for lens wider that 35 mm you use a dome and longer than 35 mm you use a flat port.

    If you look at the lens that wetpixel users use, they are very wide or macro lens. That said I would suggest you should start with a macro lens like the 60 mm with a flat port. It will give you far sharper pics than any of the 18-55 mm behind a flat port.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.