Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Vimeo or Youtube

Started by wagsy ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Vimeo or Youtube

14 posts
  1. Just something to think about.

     

    As much as the Vimeo clips are great for their quality, there are alot of folks still on slow connections out there.

    Youtube clips are better as they give you different quality's for the viewers to choose from.

     

    Im out here on an island using Australia's fastest wireless (Telstra) and its near on impossible to watch Vimeo clips. :D

    Edited by wagsy
  2. Good point and also you really can't say that You Tube is bad quality any more. It does all the way up to 4K now..... god know why you would want to watch something in 4K on a computer but I reckon they just don't want to be left behind again.

  3. Vimeo has released a new player for their videos Link which may make a difference. You can also click the HD button and that turns HD off.

     

    Personally I prefer Vimeo, as I have more control over embedding, the interface and I get Stats.

  4. Yeah, as long as you don't disable the option when you upload videos, any viewer can select HD Off and watch an SD version. So best of both worlds.

     

    I also prefer Vimeo for the reasons above.

  5. O really, I will go and have a look at that Vimeo player.

     

    Edit... its just a function in the new player.

    Tried watching a clip with the HD turned off, still no good.

    Have to let it buffer for ever....

    Edited by wagsy
  6. I'm with Shawn, there's not as much junk on Vimeo when you're just browsing, plus, I like the stats as well. Actually, I just noticed that the heart symbol is no longer there and some kind of clock which says 'Later' is on screen. Anyone know why?

    Steve

    Edited by steve
  7. Actually, I just noticed that the heart symbol is no longer there and some kind of clock which says 'Later' is on screen. Anyone know why?

    Steve

     

    There is a new Watch Later feature which allows you to add videos to a playlist for later viewing. I have not tried it yet so I can't comment on how useful it is.

     

    -Brad

  8. I've been switching over to vimeo. I spend a long time searching for the right soundtrack to my videos. Youtube has a tendency to be quick on the "muting"

  9. I must say I love Vimeo for the quality and site experience, but Youtube is coming along and is obviously a much larger service.

     

    But i think if you treasure quality Vimeo is the winner .. I'd imagine Wags is preferring youtube as they probably have bigger better worldwide servers.

  10. I like Vimeo too but its just too slow..... so give up on watching lots of clips.

    Least with youtube I can switch to the lowest setting.

    For sharing to the masses youtube wins still I recon.

     

    Maybe when I get hooked to a fixed line it will be better but for now its hopeless.

  11. There is a new Watch Later feature which allows you to add videos to a playlist for later viewing. I have not tried it yet so I can't comment on how useful it is.

     

    -Brad

     

     

    Hey Brad,

    So what happened to the "heart" symbol for when you like someone's video?

    Steve

     

    Hey Wags, Guess I won't be moving to Australia. If the download speeds are as slow as you imply, how do you get much work done if downloading software takes an eternity.?

    Steve

    Edited by steve
  12. I actually upload to both however embed via Vimeo because of all the above reasons.

     

    And yeah where did the heart go!

  13. Hey Brad,

    So what happened to the "heart" symbol for when you like someone's video?

    Steve

     

    The :D heart LIKE symbol still shows in the upper right if you are viewing other peoples videos. If you view your own video while logged-in the heart is absent. I didn't noticed this until tried it just now.

     

    -Brad

  14. Steve....Its just on this Island, at home its fine.

    There are over 1000 people here working and they bog the mobile tower down, too much traffic.

     

    Having said all that, just today they just boosted the microwave link to the main land, I can now watch Vimeo clips much better :D

    Now I can do some productive stuff.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.