When do you sell your camera and get a later model? I'm debating getting rid of my 50D and get a 550D (T2i) instead, just to have some video capability. If there wasn't the expensive ikelite housing I have to sell too.
Any suggestions.
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Started by digifotoworld ·
Read-only discussion
When do you sell your camera and get a later model? I'm debating getting rid of my 50D and get a 550D (T2i) instead, just to have some video capability. If there wasn't the expensive ikelite housing I have to sell too.
Any suggestions.
When do you sell your camera and get a later model? I'm debating getting rid of my 50D and get a 550D (T2i) instead, just to have some video capability. If there wasn't the expensive ikelite housing I have to sell too.Any suggestions.
Generally, when you feel you have outgrown the capabilities of the camera/it is somehow limiting you. There are people who have shot cameras that are years older than what I shoot and I cannot come within a country mile. Take a good look at the differences between whatever camera you have and the new one you are looking at. For instance, your 50D vs. 550D. One big difference is the video. The Rebel also seems to score slightly better in some things as shown on DXO Scores (without getting into the arguments about DXO
) And the size/weight for travel is less, if that is a real concern.
Another question, are you using the camera above and below the surface? Have you held a 550D in your hands? You may want to do that. I have a 40D and 50D myself and I am also considering a 550D, mainly for video. But for topside work, the build and ergonomics of the 40D/50D and my 5D Mark II work out alot more comfortably for me. The 40D/50D also have a higher FPS than the Rebel (depends on what kind of things you shoot of course.) Plus different cards and batteries are used in the Rebel, so you are going to have to change over.
When you have money burning a hole in your pocket. When you aren't getting the images you want and choose to blame it on the camera.
Besides the video option, the two camera bodies probably won't do a lot different. I would imagine your going to use your existing optics, so when look at it, you haven't changed an awful lot. (Except your bank balance.
)
If you need video, why not consider a compact that shoots in Hi def? The Ixus range does excellent video and theres a new one out at the moment. I'm sure this will be a lot easier on the pocket, way to achieve video.
Cheers Andy.
Another perspective: when you can't find your camera on eBay, and thus would be unable to put a new camera into your housing should it break or flood. This is part of why (the other reasons being low light performance, colour rendition and a flooded housing earlier this year) I'm waiting, and excited, about my Nauticam that is due to surface next week with a new Nikon!
Unless you're a regular on Wetpixel, of course, when the real answer is "as soon as a new camera appears", or so it sometimes seems!!
Tim
![]()
Without wanting to hijack the thread what camera Tim ?
Paul C
what camera ?
![]()
Alex Tattersall has finally succeeded in converting me to Nauticam with a nikon D300s, despite my paltry public sector salary... ![]()
![]()
Tim
![]()
Alex Tattersall has finally succeeded in converting me to Nauticam with a nikon D300s, despite my paltry public sector salary...
No worries, cut out food, clothes and lodging. Those are merely things that would be nice to have. But a new underwater rig is a MUST. Way too many enablers around these parts sometimes ![]()
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.