Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Aquatica 7D w/ 10-17 issue

Started by aussie ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Aquatica 7D w/ 10-17 issue

5 posts
  1. Hi guys,

     

    I'm not sure if this problems been bought up before, but I'm hoping someone will have a solution. I'm shooting with a 7D in an Aquatica housing, and strobes triggered via the cameras internal flash. When I shoot with my Tokina 10-17mm at the 10mm end, light from the cameras flash is making it's way thru the port opening, bouncing off the dome port and showing up in each image as blown out dots along the top of the image in the same shape as the top of the zoom gear. It only does it with the lens at it's wider settings, and not with any other lenses I've tried.

     

    I've tried using some electrical tape one the zoom gear to try and block the stray light but in the end it just got caught up with the gears in the housing. Does anyone have a solution they've already come accross? Or Jean, have you guys any ideas?

     

    Many thanks,

     

    Ryan.

  2. Hi Ryan,

     

    I solved the same issue using some foam tubing. I got a length of Pipe Insulation, cut a 15mm section and trimmed the external diameter to

    suit the inside of the dome port. It sits on the 10-17mm in front of the Zoom Gear and enough behind the focus ring so as to not interfere.

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    I have plenty left over so if you can't source any up there I'd be happy to post a section to you. I got it from a Clark's Rubber store.

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  3. Great idea, thanks Jim. I'll let you know how I go.

  4. I was going to suggest the same, thanks Jim for the picture.

  5. It's just a variation on a theme. I've read about other folks doing a card board cut-out then painting it black.

    I did search for something a bit more pre-cut but a 2m foam tube with approximately the right internal diameter

    was the closest thing I could find locally :D

     

    It works like a charm, so I didn't bother to improve on it from there.

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.