Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Which lens

Started by Crayfish ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Which lens

4 posts
  1. I am looking at purchasing a SLR system I know pretty much what I want to get but I just need some advice on some lens choices.

     

    I know that the Nikon 12-24mm lens has been used and loved by many but is any one using the Nikon 10-24mm lens and is it just as good or better???

     

    Also another question for top side photos what do most of you use. I was thinking of a Nikon 18-200mm or getting a 18-105mm and a 70-300 for above water action. Any suggestions for comments???

  2. The 18 - 200 is a killer for top side. I have two of them!

  3. I don't know about the Nikon 12-24 or the 10-24 underwater. I use the Tokina 10-17 fisheye which is pretty popular for W/A.

    I get a bit frustrated by the fact it is sometimes too wide... Sharks, for example, seem quite shy in Polynesia and it is difficult to get closer than 2m. For these kind of situations, I would like to try the Nikon 18-55 underwater, which seems quite close in terms of performance to the Sigma 17-70 Macro. It is cheap and with the 55-200 will cover a lot of your needs above water as well.

  4. Hi

     

    Yeah, I use the Nikkor 18-200 as well. It's excellent. A really handy go-to lens and very practical for travelling.

     

    I used to use the Nikkor 12-24 underwater - and was happy with it - but havn't used it all since buying the Tokina 10-17 a couple of years ago. I used the 12-24 in Polynesia and found I could get reasonably good WA shark pics (see Doversole's comment).

     

    I do find the 12-24 really good though topside - and the Tokina very much less so. Swings and roundabouts! I've found the lenses I generally use underwater are a bit more extreme than I use topside. So 60mm, 105mm and 10-17 underwater; 12-24 and 18-200 (and occasionally 80-400) topside.

     

    Sorry no experience of the 10-24. Can't say I have seen an awful lot about it on this forum. Sounds good though!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.