I saw this on Dpreview and thought this would be an Full frame version of the DX Tokina 10-17mm.
http://dpreview.com/news/1008/10082616canon8mm15mm.asp
Just wonder when either Nikon or Tokina bring out theirs
Regards Mark
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Started by Aussiebyron ·
Read-only discussion
I saw this on Dpreview and thought this would be an Full frame version of the DX Tokina 10-17mm.
http://dpreview.com/news/1008/10082616canon8mm15mm.asp
Just wonder when either Nikon or Tokina bring out theirs
Regards Mark
I saw this on Dpreview and thought this would be an Full frame version of the DX Tokina 10-17mm.
I'm surprised no one has replied to this... It looks like a very interesting lens.
However, should be noted it is not a FF equivalent to the Tokina 10-17. Such a lens would be ~15-26. Instead, this lens will offer ALL Canon users full 180° fisheye. In additon, it gives FF users the ability to switch between circular and horisontal only fisheye effect. Simply put, at 8 mm, the image circle will be a full 180° both horisontally and vertically on a FF camera. At 10 mm, it will work as a 180° horisontal fisheye on an APS-C camera, at 12mm on an APS-H (1D series) camera and at 15mm, it's a 180° horisontal fisheye lens on a FF camera.
Apart from the fact that it's an arm and a leg, that does sound quite intriguing. Obviously, it will be most useful to photographers with multiple systems, but the circular fisheye effect is quite nice as well. However, having no experience myself of them, I wonder if anyone could explain the benefits - if any - for underwater use?
Tom
It is an interesting lens, but hard to see why one would buy this over the Tokina particularly at the price, unless the circular fisheye on FF was needed. Not that there's much in it but the Tokina also focuses slightly closer 4" vs 6". My sense is that this lens is aimed at the 7D users market, and the FF thing is just a quirky side benefit. Now if Canon come out with a FF equivalent to the 10-17 that would be a real reason for me to switch brands.
Dont think any other L lens has been made with APS-C as a primary focus, and it has reduced functionality in that format.
I'd be surprised but its possible I guess.
Otara
It is an interesting lens, but hard to see why one would buy this over the Tokina particularly at the price, unless the circular fisheye on FF was needed. Not that there's much in it but the Tokina also focuses slightly closer 4" vs 6". My sense is that this lens is aimed at the 7D users market, and the FF thing is just a quirky side benefit. Now if Canon come out with a FF equivalent to the 10-17 that would be a real reason for me to switch brands.
Actually I suspect that Canon have reintroduced the circular image fisheye in response to Sigma's offerings. Its a lens type which quietly faded out of use (as the main manufacturers ceased producing their versions) and is perhaps due for a revival - given high MPixels and it being an 'L' lens, it may well produce images of quite surprising quality. Fully agree on a 10-17 equivalent.
I'm surprised no one has replied to this... It looks like a very interesting lens.
It was also reported here from the front page announcement.
Agree that it could be a great lens, but I can't see why I'd want it at that price over the 10-17.
Ryan.
I'm wondering if the optics will be sufficiently better at 15mm to make it superior to Sigma or Canon 15mm FE. Other than if that's the case, I'm just not sure of the attraction of the wider zoom settings for FF cameras uw...
I have mine on order now, but Canon does not expect to deliver until January. Apparently huge demand for this new lens. I will use on both full frame and 1.3 crop Canon DSLR, so intuitively it will be far more versatile than 15mm fisheye I use presently.
I'll see if we can get one in the SEACAM booth for DEMA. The removable sunshades will have to come off Superdome for circular 8mm, I'm certain. Wonder how it will work circular with mini-fisheye ports?
I think this lens is going to be good for the APS-C/H users. The 1D Mk IV will finally have full fisheye FOV and the 7D/60D/T2i gets wider than the Tokina 10-17 (because the Canon crop is 1.6x vs 1.5x). Furthermore if anyone shoots outdoors, a L lens will take more punishment than the old 15mm.
It's not a cheap lens and I'd test it out thoroughly though.
I think this lens is going to be good for the APS-C/H users. The 1D Mk IV will finally have full fisheye FOV and the 7D/60D/T2i gets wider than the Tokina 10-17 (because the Canon crop is 1.6x vs 1.5x). Furthermore if anyone shoots outdoors, a L lens will take more punishment than the old 15mm.It's not a cheap lens and I'd test it out thoroughly though.
Says above you get 180 at 10mm on APS-C - wont that be identical to a Tokina? Or is it wider on the horizontal?
Otara
I'm pretty sure the Tokina isn't 180 degrees on a Canon. That refers to when used on a Nikon isn't it?
As Ryan says, the Tokina 10-17 fisheye is wider on the Nikon than on the Canon from what I saw. Perhaps it was a copy variation but I think the Canon 1.6x @ 10mm is not the same as Nikon's 1.5x @ 10mm. I didn't test it but from my observations, it isn't 180° on the diagonal compared to the 15mm fisheye on a full frame. Of course there are also variations in quality of lens as well to consider.
As Ryan says, the Tokina 10-17 fisheye is wider on the Nikon than on the Canon from what I saw. Perhaps it was a copy variation but I think the Canon 1.6x @ 10mm is not the same as Nikon's 1.5x @ 10mm. I didn't test it but from my observations, it isn't 180° on the diagonal compared to the 15mm fisheye on a full frame. Of course there are also variations in quality of lens as well to consider.
Yeah not disputing that, more wondering what difference it makes if both the Canon based lenses are at 10mm. I guess I dont understand fisheyes very well.
A brief check shows the Tokina is a lot less than 180 vertically, so I wonder if theres going to be vignetting issues with dome shades made with that lens in mind and what your angle of view is if you have to correct for that.
Otara
Canon just posted some more general info on the lens:
http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?ac...d=EM1010EO06004
Interesting that they see underwater as a primary use for this lens: "Whether you’re an underwater photographer, a wedding shooter looking for that exciting way to get a “different” picture, a commercial shooter, an HD videographer or an advanced enthusiast, this is a lens with potential you need to examine."
Stephen
They had the lens on a 5D2 and 7D in a Sea And Sea MDX housing with a dome port that had the visors cut off for the demo video:
http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38094
I'd say they paid attention to all the big stink about the Tokina 10-17. Afterall, Tokina must've caught wind of this lens since the 10-17 EF mount is pretty difficult to find nowadays.
Release of the new fisheye has been delayed 'til March:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1011/10110105...ippingdelay.asp
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.