Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. Was diving the other day with my 105 lens in a Ikelite standard port, when I noticed water droplets leaking through the join of the two plastics. Lets call it plastic Where the black plastic joins onto the clear plastic. I noticed fine cracks going all the way around the joint. I look after my gear well so I don't think its wear and tear. Its only two years old. It should not really do that I also contacted the dealer where I bought it from and there response was it may have been knocked in the right place.... yeah right...
Has anyone else had the same problem Is the modular port system better and stronger ?
I use both standard ports and the modular system for my Ikelite. I find the modular system way better in build quality than the standard, lensspecific ports. As soon as Ikelite makes a small dome for the modular system, I will only use that and sell my standard small port. However, to be fair, I have never had any leaks in any of my standard ports.
Regards
Bent
I would send it back to Ikelite. Some people have had excellent service from them, but unfortunately not me.
I had the modular setup when I was using Ikelite gear. The port bodies are solid and strong, so is the glass flat port. Probably the strongest thing in the whole housing.
I had the 60mm standard manual focus port which had droplets coming through the focusing knob. Ikelite replaced at a reduce rate for the modular version.
Regards Mark
Thanks Guys
If I buy the modular ports for my 105vr do you think its better to get the manual focus port.
Thanks Guys
If I buy the modular ports for my 105vr do you think its better to get the manual focus port.
The 105vr has excellent autofocus, vastly better than the old model. I don't miss manual control with this lens.
The 105vr is fast AF - sometimes too fast. It seems to need a little more light & contrast to properly AF in some cases. I typically shoot it in AF mode, but if it can't focus you need to provide some assistance (MF). The great thing about this lens is AF with manual override (AF/M). Unlike the old 105 you do not have to set both the lens & camera body to M. Just touch the focus control while depressing shutter release 1/2 way down. Instant MF as long as you hold the shutter 1/2 way. Release shutter to return to AF. This means that no special port is required for VR lens. I just add extension ring to the 60mm port. Go for manual focus - don't need it often, but it's sure helpful when you do.
P.S. My reference is Nexus, which locates lens focus gear at same location for all lenses. Ike may be different.
Ikelite replaced my faulty 100mm port, which leaked through a glue joint at no cost. So I'd say send it to them/.