Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

World Festival of Underwater Images 2010

Started by SimonSpear ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

World Festival of Underwater Images 2010

10 posts
  1. I can't get used to calling what everyone referred to as Antibes the 'World Festival of Underwater Images' and I definitely can't get my head around calling it Marseille! So what should we call it now that it has moved from its ancestral home to newer pastures?

     

    Also due to being such a great husband and father I've been granted a 4 day pass (Thursday - Sunday) to go this year, watch loads of great films and drink a moderate amount of beer. Is anyone else going and does anyone who went last year have any recommendations on where to stay?

     

    Cheers, Simon

  2. You can count on me, Simon :)

     

    And on the DivePhotoGuide booth...

     

    At least these are my plans, but I strongly hope I can make it.

  3. Oh Jules, are you bringing the Unicum? :)

  4. I hope to be there also. I have vague memories of unicum from the 2007 Antibes festival. I recall it tasted like antifreeze. Quite nice really :)

     

    Didn't go last year, so also looking for a decent hotel as I don't know the area.

     

    Steve

  5. Stayed at a very nice B&B called Le Petit Jardin, which was more homey and nice big breakfast. Stayed there 2 years ago. It is about a mile away from Le Pharo and Vieux Port. Also not a place if you have a car. Parking is a bitch there which is why we moved to:

     

    The New Hotel De Marseille (there are a few New Hotels, so make sure you get the right one) is nice. Stupid pay Wifi in the room but free around the hotel.

     

    New Hotel

     

    The main road Blvd Charles L has quite a few hotels that's very close to Le Pharo, including the Sofitel.

  6. Steve - it sure sounds like you remember Unicum and its antifreeze aftertaste! We'll have to meet up for a shot on Jules if he is still allowed import it into France!

     

    Drew - thanks for the tips. I'm going without Zoe so there is NO way she'd let me book the Sofitel, but the 'New Hotel de Marseille - Le Pharo' looks ok if that's the one you are thinking of? I'll have to have a look at the map to see how close it is.

     

    Cheers, Simon

  7. Well, as I see we have a cult of Unicum... So I feel obliged to bring some bottles with me... :) And some Hungarian gipsy music :)

     

    Last year I was in an Etap Hotel in Vieux Port, they had a garage as well, but I parked my car in the parking pool of the Pharo. Was 54 EUR for the whole duration, but as I calculated (after), it would have been cheaper if I payed by the hour and not prepaid at the festival. The Etap was also about 1 km from the Pharo, maybe a little more, but you need fresh air after a day with Unicum anyhow...

     

    And for movie-making guys: the big room is a really nice cinema facility, big-big screen and comfortable seats...

  8. I ended up booking the Holiday Inn Express. It's not that near to the venue, but it has good reviews, it's in the center of town and it has good links to the airport. I'll be arriving very early on the Friday and wont fly back until Monday AM :)

     

    Cheers, Simon

  9. Hi Simon,

    I'll be there at the Sharktees booth, but the Unicum will only be at the DPG booth :-)

    I'll be happy to meet all Wetpixelians over there, pls come say hi!

    A good B&B is Etap Hotel

    See you there!

    Michel

  10. Take some pictures! We'll post them on the front page. Wish I could be there...

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.