Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon G9 with Canon enclosure - External Flash Possible?

Started by jayelwin ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon G9 with Canon enclosure - External Flash Possible?

4 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    I am new to this forum. I have a Canon G9 and I own the Canon branded WP-DC21 enclosure. I am wondering how I could attach a bracket and strobe to this to allow for more flash light. The tiny internal flash just doesn't cut it. Does anyone know if this is possible - possibly to use a strobe on "slave" and use the internal flash as a trigger? This could be a problem since the camera probably double fires it's little flash - first to get exposure and then to take the photo on the second. A standard slave would not fire the second time.

     

    I see the Ikelite G9 enclosure has external TTL ability. I was wondering how this works. Is there something that hooks up to the hot shoe inside the enclosure and then transmits to the strobe connected outside? I was looking at their website and I could not see anything hooked up to the top of the camera in the photos.

     

    Also if I was to buy the $600 Ikelite, I may just invest in an enclosure for my 5D Mark II - but that's a big financial jump so I'd like to get the WP-DC21 working with an external strobe - possibly a strobe that will be useful in the future if I expand my gear.

     

    Thanks.

     

    -Joshua Wein

  2. Hello,

     

    I am new to this forum. I have a Canon G9 and I own the Canon branded WP-DC21 enclosure. I am wondering how I could attach a bracket and strobe to this to allow for more flash light. The tiny internal flash just doesn't cut it. Does anyone know if this is possible - possibly to use a strobe on "slave" and use the internal flash as a trigger? This could be a problem since the camera probably double fires it's little flash - first to get exposure and then to take the photo on the second. A standard slave would not fire the second time.

     

    I see the Ikelite G9 enclosure has external TTL ability. I was wondering how this works. Is there something that hooks up to the hot shoe inside the enclosure and then transmits to the strobe connected outside? I was looking at their website and I could not see anything hooked up to the top of the camera in the photos.

     

    Also if I was to buy the $600 Ikelite, I may just invest in an enclosure for my 5D Mark II - but that's a big financial jump so I'd like to get the WP-DC21 working with an external strobe - possibly a strobe that will be useful in the future if I expand my gear.

     

    Thanks.

     

    -Joshua Wein

     

     

    Strobes such as Inons and Sea & Sea have fiber optic connections which will trigger via the internal strobe. There are models that ignore the pre-flash (or work with the pre-flash). As to whether TTL will work is another issue. If I recall there were things with the G9 which prevent that (TTL) even in the Ikelite housing. (Could be wrong, but recall discussions about G9 TTL issues) http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23154

     

    Not a huge deal, since most have adjustments and you can dial the output easily and see the feedback on the exposure on the screen.

     

    There are a few ways to hook things up, velcro or something similar to attach the cord in front of the flash, which also blocks out the internal flash which helps reduce backscatter. Then you can get ULCS trays, or other trays, to attach to the housing and the strobe. Jeremy and others have shot with the G9 in various housings, and if they are around I am sure they can add more.

     

    Here is something where Jeremy discusses the G9 and gives you an idea what I am describing

     

    http://www.wetpixel.com/forums/lofiversion...php/t24072.html

     

    In that case the housing is an Ike, but the concept applies. The fiber optic connecting the two strobes would instead be placed in front of the internal strobe.

    Edited by TheRealDrew
  3. What Drew says is correct. I actually use an Inon strobe with a G9 in OEM (Canon) housing like yours, and it works just fine ,although TTL doesn't work AFAIK so you have to manually set the strobe (in fact, I shoot the camera in M as well, just setting the aperture to the max - f/8 - and shutter to 1/60 or 1/100). The hookup is a fiber-optic cable that attaches to the housing right in front of the camera's flash, and connects to the strobes slave sensor. You can get the housing connection kit (as well as Inon strobe) from Ryan at Reef Photo (see sponsor list at right). The only thing I didn't get from him was the fiber optic cable itself, which I bought from Inon directly; however, he probably carries that, too. Call and I'm sure he can set you right up!

  4. I have a G9 and Canon housing ... used Inon strobes with fiber optics. It all works well. If you stick with the G9, fiber optic is hard to beat.

    Since I took the plunge to a DSLR housing, the base and arms for the G9 no longer get used. I have been a bit busy for putting them up for sale.

    If interested, let me know via PM. I have ULCS base and handles plus a filter and filter attachment. All works well together.

     

    Dave

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.