Hello,
I have a few questions about TTL that will probably reveal how little I know about underwater photography gear. I have been taking pictures on dry land for a long time and have learned a lot about photography in general, but this does not translate into understanding underwater photography. (I can still tell you my N+1, N, N-1 times using Xtol 1:1 for those who remember what that means!)
I have a G9 and Canon's underwater enclosure. I am now realizing the shortcomings of this setup. The main problem is simply the lack of light from the feeble internal flash. So an external strobe seems to be in order. The Sea and Sea YS-110 claims to be able to do TTL flash metering without being connected to the camera. Does anyone know how this is possible? The camera's flash fires and triggers the strobe to fire. How does the camera tell the strobe to stop? How does the camera communicate with the strobe without an electrical connection? I am baffled.
Also I own a 5D mark II and am considering buying an enclosure for that before my Christmas 2010 St. John's trip. Now that camera does not have a flash. So is there some part of the enclosure you hook up to the hot shoe before you close it up? And then does it hard wire up to strobes? Again I'm not sure how the camera communicates with the strobes from inside a waterproof enclosure.
Of course if I buy a strobe to use for the G9 I need it to work for a future DSLR enclosure purchase. So I'd also guess purchasing a Sea and Sea strobe would mean I'd have to buy their brand enclosure. I guess I'll have to pre-select an enclosure for my DSLR and then stick to those branded strobes? Go with Ikelite? Their DSLR enclosures seem to be about 1/2 the price of Sea and Sea. Remember I'm just an enthusiastic amateur, not a pro. Would an Ikelite strobe do some sort of TTL using the Canon branded G9 enclosure.
I have a lot of lenses for my 5DII. I have the 17-40, 24-105, and the 100 macro. Obviously focus is autofocus. How do you zoom? Does the enclosure somehow allow you to turn the zoom on the lenses? I know that may sound like a real stupid question for most of you, but hey, I've never held one of these things in my hand. It seems that the enclosures need different front end lens ports for different lenses. What would you recommend I start with? Most underwater photography seems to be fairly wide angle - go with whatever the 17-40 requires? Macro seems to also be discussed - is there one lens port that would work with both the WA and the macro?
I have a manual focus 14 mm wide angle lens that fits the camera. It's a Samyang 14mm 2.8 lens. For dry land use I highly recommend it - incredibly sharp lens corner to corner. Google it! Is it at all possible to use a manual focus lens in an enclosure? I'm just going to flat out guess my 70-200 has no real purpose under water.
Thanks for taking the time to read all of these questions.
-Josh