I started using Lightroom about six months ago on my laptop (Win 7). I use my laptop both as my on-site PC and my main PC at home. I also recently put a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device in full time use. The NAS has my photos backed up, but not my Lightroom catalog. What i would like to do is use my laptop in the field (flag, rate, tag, quick edits, etc) then transfer content to the NAS once home for long-term storage AND to keep my photos centrally managed (I have a backup to the NAS arranged so do not need to clog the laptop memory for back up).
So, to my question for Lightroom old hands, is it simply a case of exporting my catalog to the NAS then deleting the files on my laptop? Can Lightroom link to a catalog on a LAN?
I would like to make sure i've got the process down before i do anything irreversible.
How do others manage using Lightroom in the field and centrally manage their library upon their return? I understand most people will also have a desktop at home that would make this process easier.
Anything I might be missing? I did a quick search and did not find an answer to this specific problem so maybe i'm just missing something very elemental.
thanks
Jason