Skip to content

Copyright Issues, Non-Payment, Fraud, Theft / Archived topic

Copyright hijinks on Flickr

Started by danielandrewclem ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Copyright hijinks on Flickr

3 posts
  1. I was checking out a new blog yesterday and I immediately recognized the photo that was used for the blog post. I clicked on the photo link and ended up here, a Flickr account that is associated with a youth hostel in South Africa. Anyhow, it's the same photo that got used for a Photoshop contest a few years ago, the product of which ended up getting emailed all over the place with a fake story about two divers who'd been photographed while the enormous white shark approached them from the rear. I'm sure many of you received the email.

     

    Anyhow, I left a comment on the NPR blog, pointing out that the photo most definitely is not the work of the youth hostel (as of a day later, the blog post is unedited), and I also left a comment on the Flickr page, linking to the Snopes site. I think it's pretty rich that people are thanking the Flickr user for licensing an image that doesn't even belong to them.

     

    Any other suggestions for how to dissuade this kind of thing or report this Flickr user? Is it legit to flag a photo for copyright infringement or is flagging strictly for inappropriate content? And do any of you know whose photo this is? The Snopes page about the email hoax says that it was swiped from Great White Adventures, but the link is dead and I can't see the photo on the updated GWA website.

  2. They're still at it. Yet another Flickr user has innocently used the image and thanked the thieves for the creative commons license.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/hermanusbackpackers/3343254977/

     

    You can see the photo as it appeared on GWA's site using WayBackMachine. The earliest appearance of it appears on February 6, 2005

     

    http://web.archive.org/web/20050206213441/.../guadalupe.html

     

    According to the folks at GWA's Facebook page, the photo was taken in 2003 at Guadalupe by Mark Marache aboard The Searcher.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.