Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Will 3D HDTV make you a fat couch potato?

Started by Drew ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Will 3D HDTV make you a fat couch potato?

12 posts
  1. Just finished watching the demo of US Open tennis coverage. After watching the French Open and World Cup in 3D, I'm now certain that sport fans will now become couch potatoes, eating on their sofas in their jammies/underwear/naked. They'll also probably get headaches and screw up their eyes from wear those LCD 3D glasses for too long a time. Ah progress!

     

    For those who want to watch the broadcast 3D HDTV on CBS, you must be subscribed to DirectTV (I think Sky and Fox are doing it for other markets). The schedule is:

     

    Sept. 10 from 12:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. EDT

    Sept. 11 from 12:00 p.m. to 6 p.m. EDT and 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. EDT

    Sept. 12 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. EDT

     

    Obviously you'll need a new 3D HD TV. I looked at the Sony Bravia vs Samsung LED and bought the Samsung. It's slight bigger and gave 2 extra pairs of glasses. Plus you can skype from the TV directly. Pic quality is about the same for the 2. Just saw the Panasonic Viera and it's great looking.

  2. Just finished watching the demo of US Open tennis coverage.

     

    Mens or Womens?

  3. Drew which Samsung LED one did you get?

     

    I have to buy one for me new pad:-)

  4. Samsung 9000 series, 55" LED. I'd check for the deals they have for each brand. The Samsung came with a starter kit with 2 extra 3D visors and a BD player. I like the 3D picture from the Sony Bravia more, the Samsung was better for off angle viewing, which is for me important for where I wanted to put the TV. Plus no extra glasses. The plasmas are better (sometimes a lot better!) but I wanted LED for less power consumption and size.

  5. $10k lol ... I don't think I will spend that much coin on a Screen :)

     

    Think I will look at some other options... but tending to go the LED way too.

  6. $10k lol ... I don't think I will spend that much coin on a Screen :)

     

    Think I will look at some other options... but tending to go the LED way too.

     

     

    Just wait a bit longer you don't have to dive (excuse the pun) in first... I bought my Bravia 42" Full HD screen for £1500 when it first surfaced and 9 months later they were under £1000 ... I then waited for Blu-rays to drop in price (who cares who gets one first) My Phillips Blu-ray player cost £50 my mates cost £399 :D

     

    I expect 3D screens will drop in price pretty soon :)

     

    Dive safe, buy wise

     

    DeanB

  7. LOL I still don't even have a HD TV let alone a Blu-Ray.

     

    Cheers, Simon

  8. LOL I still don't even have a HD TV let alone a Blu-Ray.

    You're missing out. I can't even watch SD video material anymore (not that I ever watch TV...).

  9. Yes the way they cut stuff for the Discovery and History channels now days along with all the adds..... even those once great channels are not worth really watching anymore.

    Normal commercial TV is a joke now days.

     

    I spend way more time watching stuff on the internet so a TV connected to the NET makes sense but not a 10K one. lol

  10. Well between diving, editing, the net and being a father and husband I hardly have enough time to do any real work to pay for it all let alone watch TV! :)

     

    Cheers, Simon

  11. Well I got no kids, no cat, no dog, no missus but have an okay paying job but still cannot afford a 10K screen.

    Got to get a 3D camera now too. :)

  12. Got to get a 3D camera now too. :)

     

    LOL Yeah bloody technology keeps movin' on!

    Edited by SimonSpear
Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.