So anyone make the transitions through these programs? Most interested in the step from Imovie to Final Cut Express, what did you think was the biggest advantage?
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
imovie vs. Final Cut Express vs. Final Cut Pro
Started by NWDiver ·
- 12Posts
- 12Replies
Read-only discussion
imovie vs. Final Cut Express vs. Final Cut Pro
-
-
So anyone make the transitions through these programs? Most interested in the step from Imovie to Final Cut Express, what did you think was the biggest advantage?
Not sure which version of iMovie to which version of FCE. But generally easier to edit, color correct and do many other things, including filters etc, plus also easier to bring into FCP if you ever go that route. iMovie is a nice app and can do alot, but FCE is easier to deal with (interface etc.) and closer to FCP in many respects...
-
iMovie and Final Cut Express are very different editing applications, both with limitations. Final Cut Pro/Studio is an application that you will never outgrow. Studio is not just the NLE but also contains other applications such as Motion for motion graphics similar to what you might do in Adobe After Effects, Compressor which will allow you to compress your project in FCP to whatever size or purpose you have for the sequence, Soundtrack which enables you to make your own royalty free audio tracks as well as tweak or fix problems in the initial audio capture and DVD Studio Pro which can be used to make either very simple DVDs or ones with very complex menus. Final Cut Express has come a long way in its improvements but, in my mind, Final Cut Studio is the way to go.
For PC users there is Edius which many on this site claim is wonderful and CS5 Adobe Premier Pro with a host of new and improved performance features.
Steve
-
So anyone make the transitions through these programs? Most interested in the step from Imovie to Final Cut Express, what did you think was the biggest advantage?
I still use iMovie - for family movies. You can throw together a decent family movie of an event in under an hour. The downside of iMovie is the limited control over the look and feel of the finished product. You'll quickly find something that you'd like to do and find that iMovie just doesn't do that. Anything that needs work at a frame level (e.g. getting a transition to start exactly at a certain frame) is very hit-and-miss in iMovie. But, if you are happy to stay in the templated world of iMovie, you can produce results quickly.
For "serious" UW video editing, I started with Final Cut Express - about 5 or 6 years ago. I outgrew it in about 3 months and switched to Final Cut Pro and, later, the whole suite of Final Cut Studio. If I remember correctly, my main reason for moving from FCE to FCP was better color controls - important for UW video. FCE and FCP have a much steeper, longer learning curve, but, once mastered, you'll have complete control over the way your movies look.
Regards
Peter
-
For "serious" UW video editing, I started with Final Cut Express - about 5 or 6 years ago. I outgrew it in about 3 months and switched to Final Cut Pro and, later, the whole suite of Final Cut Studio. If I remember correctly, my main reason for moving from FCE to FCP was better color controls - important for UW video. FCE and FCP have a much steeper, longer learning curve, but, once mastered, you'll have complete control over the way your movies look.
iMovie's been fun for the little clips I've been putting out to share, but I am moving into being interested in a better post-production option.
I'm interested in moving to FCP. Although I have FCE on my Mac, it apparently does not play nicely with new Sony2010 cameras. Has anyone else encountered this issue? How did you go about it? I am shooting a Sony HDRCX550V and have not yet found a good solution for working in FCE. Importing has been nightmarish at best. I'd love any advice or suggestions.
Because of this I am looking into FCP as it appears to play more nicely with Sony 2010 cameras. How long did it take to gain ease of use with it? Did you feel it was intuitive to learn or did you seek out some help in learning to utilize it?
Many thanks!
Laurynn aka Seainggreen
-
Because of this I am looking into FCP as it appears to play more nicely with Sony 2010 cameras. How long did it take to gain ease of use with it? Did you feel it was intuitive to learn or did you seek out some help in learning to utilize it?
If you used FCE, should not be difficult to jump to FCP. And like most software, 90% of what you need can be learned quickly, it is the last 10% that can be killer

I am not sure how it plays with the new Sony cameras or the workflows, so do not want to steer you wrong on that aspect. Where are you running into the log jam on FCE? Here is one thread on the Apple Boards
Can you expand on not playing nicely?
-
[quote name='seainggreen' date='Nov 9 2010, 11:39 AM' post='265555'.
Because of this I am looking into FCP as it appears to play more nicely with Sony 2010 cameras. How long did it take to gain ease of use with it? Did you feel it was intuitive to learn or did you seek out some help in learning to utilize it?
Can't comment on FCE and Sony 2010 camcorders but I can tell you that FCP certainly works fine with the CX550. Just plug it in, say OK on the camcorder then import the clips. I convert them to ProRes format as FCP likes that format with minimal rendering.
FCP is not much more difficult than FCE, just a few more options and buttons. Personally, I find the FCP / FCE interface to be more intuitive than iMovie but maybe that is through familiarity.
But, you'll find it quicker to get up the learning curve with some training from ripple or lydia. FCS used to come with a bundled tutorial so you might want to check what's in the box before signing up to a training program. Kenstone.net is a great source of help to specific issues.
Regards
Peter
-
If you used FCE, should not be difficult to jump to FCP. And like most software, 90% of what you need can be learned quickly, it is the last 10% that can be killer

I am not sure how it plays with the new Sony cameras or the workflows, so do not want to steer you wrong on that aspect. Where are you running into the log jam on FCE? Here is one thread on the Apple Boards
Can you expand on not playing nicely?
The latest version of FCE (4?) does say it supports AVCHD so that might help in supporting the newer cameras.
-
If capturing from tape, Final Cut Express only supports the DV and HDV formats. Final Cut Pro supports many other tape-based formats too numerous to list here. If you need to work in a tape-based format other than these, you will need to work in Final Cut Pro. If transferring from memory-based media, Final Cut Express supports the AVCHD format only, but not natively. Express must convert the AVCHD media into the Apple Intermediate Codec during the transfer process. If you shoot on a Canon DSLR, Panasonic P2, or Sony XDCAM camera (all of which are supported in Final Cut Pro) you will need to use a transfer utility provided by the camera's manufacturer. Then, you'll need to convert the files into the Apple Intermediate Codec using MPEG Streamclip or other third party converter before importing the media into Final Cut Express for editing. There are no Pro Res settings in FCE.
Steve
-
If you used FCE, should not be difficult to jump to FCP. And like most software, 90% of what you need can be learned quickly, it is the last 10% that can be killer

I am not sure how it plays with the new Sony cameras or the workflows, so do not want to steer you wrong on that aspect. Where are you running into the log jam on FCE? Here is one thread on the Apple Boards
Can you expand on not playing nicely?
Hi Drew. Thanks for helping out.
By not playing nicely I mean that FCE will not even recognize that the camera is attached to the computer. I've realized that even with iMovie I have to follow a PC-esque process where iMove must be open and be running for about 2 minutes before it will recognize my camera. I am familiar with having to convert files, etc, but when I can't get the program to even see the camera I'm not sure of the process to use. Because of this I have yet to even really use FCE at all as I've not found the right series of steps to get footage from the camera and into FCE to edit. If capturing from tape, Final Cut Express only supports the DV and HDV formats. Final Cut Pro supports many other tape-based formats too numerous to list here. If you need to work in a tape-based format other than these, you will need to work in Final Cut Pro. If transferring from memory-based media, Final Cut Express supports the AVCHD format only, but not natively. Express must convert the AVCHD media into the Apple Intermediate Codec during the transfer process. If you shoot on a Canon DSLR, Panasonic P2, or Sony XDCAM camera (all of which are supported in Final Cut Pro) you will need to use a transfer utility provided by the camera's manufacturer. Then, you'll need to convert the files into the Apple Intermediate Codec using MPEG Streamclip or other third party converter before importing the media into Final Cut Express for editing. There are no Pro Res settings in FCE.Steve
I'm not tape-based, the camera is all digital. Steve, what you say here is what I've read on several boards for Apple/Mac. What I think you're saying is that if I go to FCP I will no longer have this weird Apple Intermediate Codec issue that requires me to convert/transfer files just to get them on the editing board? If that's the case I may bite the bullet and just go to FCP. Right now, I can't even make the transfer utility provided by Sony work out to get footage into FCE. It also seems like having to transfer and convert file 3x just to edit them is not right. I am mostly just relieved to know it really is a PITA process and it's not me.
That being said, if anyone is familiar with the process to do this and has an easy way/process/fix I'm all ears. Given that FCE is already pre-loaded on my Mac and going to FCP will be a significant investment I was hopeful to "make it work". Thanks everyone for the feedback, I do appreciate it very much. Sorry for being so slow on the return, this was a crazy week at work and then my husband turned 40 this weekend. Busy!
Thanks again!
-
To immediately solve your issue, download MPEG Streamclip. It is free and you can set in and out points and name your clips before exporting in whatever codec you want. Once the clips have been exported out of MPEG Streamclip, you can then import them into FCE but, yes, you will be limited to the codecs that Express itself is limited to. You're correct in that FCE doesn't offer any of the pro res codecs which is the codec most editors on Macs transcode to for FCP. Once you get FCP you will be able to capture in the codec of your choice so transcoding won't be necessary. There was a time during the standard definition days that the Apple Intermidiate codec worked just fine but it was meant for SD editing. Once you bite the bullet, you will find that FC Studio provides you with so much more than just the editing NLE. You will also get Compressor so that you can encode more to your advantage than does simply dropping a sequence into iDVD. DVD Studio Pro will provide you the ability to make as intricate DVDs as you need and Motion will accomplish much of what you might have used Adobe After Effects for. There is also Soundtrack Pro that comes with the studio which enables audio fixing and comes with enough loops to make your own royalty free music. Never the less, FCE is a great way to start to familiarize yourself with FCP.
Steve
-
So, I just went and bit the bullet.
I know that I'm only going to do more with video as time goes by, so might as well get the right tool for the job. Anyways, since I figured nothing ventured, nothing gained, I packed up my computer and my FCE copy and went down to the Apple Store. I explained the compatibility issue with FCE and my 2010 Sony. Apparently they've heard a lot of this as they offered to refund my FCE $$s in the form of a price break on my purchase of Studio, and I didn't have to lean hard on them at all to make it happen. Since that equated to a 1/5th discount I just pulled the trigger.
After the very long install process wraps up (holy cow, the program is HUGE) I will begin the journey of learning Studio! Now time to go peruse the forums for some help on its use. Looks very, very cool.