I`m about to buy macro (100mm) setup for my Aquatica housing! I can`t decide what port setup to take?
Should I buy port which so I can use AF and MF, or should I take port just for AF?
Thank you
Read-only discussion
I`m about to buy macro (100mm) setup for my Aquatica housing! I can`t decide what port setup to take?
Should I buy port which so I can use AF and MF, or should I take port just for AF?
Thank you
I think it depends on your eyesight...mine is so poor that I trust AF more than MF (My Focus) ![]()
If you have an eagle eye and a steady hand I would opt for the MF port option.
I`m about to buy macro (100mm) setup for my Aquatica housing! I can`t decide what port setup to take?Should I buy port which so I can use AF and MF, or should I take port just for AF?
Thank you
I haven't used MF since my first Nikon F801! I still seem to get sharp images with focus where I want it. Unless you are in very still water then I'd opt for AF only.
I am not going to buy another M/F port again. I think an AF port with good focusing light is all that is required.
Regards Mark
I use a Nikon D300 with both a 60mm and 105mm lens. I find that I never need MF with the 60mm.
However with the 105mm in low light I do find the MF useful. Whilst in Lembeh I reckon I used MF about 10-15% of the time. Sometimes I just not get a focus on AF because of low light or low contrast. A focussing light might have been able to solve the problem - although I must admit I never really tried that (just one more gadget to have to carry/charge).
So if you have a good focussing light, AF is probably fine. If not, I would be tempted to suggest having a MF capability for a 100mm lens. Depends on your budget too! ![]()
AF PORT = you only can use Af mode or move your camera front and back to focus in half press mode.
MF port = you can use both mf or af, u no need move your camera front or back to adjust your focus
AF port.
AF + MF (via AF-ON).
Alex
So if you have a good focussing light, AF is probably fine.
I use a Kowalski Mini Xenon - some might think this overkill but its wide beam and power ensure easy focus for virtually any macro situation and I use a 100mm as my 'standard' macro. Many fish are entranced by it (watch for predators!) so it helps with them too ![]()
I`m about to buy macro (100mm) setup for my Aquatica housing! I can`t decide what port setup to take?Should I buy port which so I can use AF and MF, or should I take port just for AF?
Thank you
AF only with the Canon 60, 100 and the Sigma 150.
Bill
I`m about to buy macro (100mm) setup for my Aquatica housing! I can`t decide what port setup to take?Should I buy port which so I can use AF and MF, or should I take port just for AF?
Thank you
Buy the auto focus port and the Focus gear from Xit 404 which allows manual focus from the housing knob it is awesome
I prefer to have both manual focus and auto-focus available to me. Not just for macro lenses, but for all lenses. Auto-focus often is often the better choice when the subject is a moving subject. I use manual focus a lot, especially with more static subjects. If you have only auto-focus, the camera may not be able to focus on the exact spot you want, when the camera is in the exact position for the framing you want. Then you may have to move the camera to "recompose" and this movement may disturb the subject or result in the focus not being quite as accurate. Auto-focus also becomes less accurate, or may not function at all, in very dim light. But you can still turn a manual focus control, moving the focus back and forth over the subject. And watch so that you can make your "best guess". I consider a really good viewfinder a critical part of the manual focus operation. It is less important if all you use is auto-focus.
Fred
Buy the auto focus port and the Focus gear from Xit 404 which allows manual focus from the housing knob it is awesome
I'll second that recommendation.
I am not going to buy another M/F port again. I think an AF port with good focusing light is all that is required.
Regards Mark
Sorry if this is going a bit "off topic". But on the subject of focusing lights, do you recommend low power wide beam models, with maybe a red type filter over the lens to prevent spooking more nervous subjects?
Cheers Andy.
Sorry if this is going a bit "off topic". But on the subject of focusing lights, do you recommend low power wide beam models, with maybe a red type filter over the lens to prevent spooking more nervous subjects?
Cheers Andy.
I actually fitted a red filter to my sea and sea shutter activated focus light for the mandarin dive at one of the sites in lembeh. my wife fitted some over her video lights as well and they do work a treat. I havent tried them on other subjects though.
Stew
Sorry if this is going a bit "off topic". But on the subject of focusing lights, do you recommend low power wide beam models, with maybe a red type filter over the lens to prevent spooking more nervous subjects?
Generally works much better on inverts than fish:
http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/review-ligh...00-focus-light/
I actually fitted a red filter to my sea and sea shutter activated focus light for the mandarin dive at one of the sites in lembeh. my wife fitted some over her video lights as well and they do work a treat. I havent tried them on other subjects though.
Stew
Thanks once again for your advice Stew. MMM! You've dangled a money spending carrot there, with the shutter activated focus light. (Sola 600 I assume your on about) Its a pricy beast!! Are there alternatives? Are they truly needed? Anyway, I don't want to ambush this topic. I've enjoyed it and learned from it. So your thoughts welcome here please..... http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37798
Cheers Andy.
Focus light I last used was the Suprema 44 LED light, had a nice broad beam, didn't scare the spawning mandarins I was shooting. Was using a Canon 5dmk1 and it's "old" AF system, had no problems locking focus with the 100 USM Macro (not L)
hard for me to justify a focus light that costs more than the lens I'm using.
cheers
Stu
Just wrap red saran wrap or get a specific red filter for your focus light. If the mandarins are actively mating it does not matter if you are using a red or white light. But if they are shy you need a red light. Any focus light will work, but one that you can adjust the brightness is better since a bright red light sometimes spooks the little girls and guys from snuggling with each other.
Elmer
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.