Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Vertical shots

Started by davephdv ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Vertical shots

7 posts
  1. It has been long held that vertical shots are more pleasing than horizontal ones. I have always wondered if this was because vertical is what magazine publshers want.

     

    I discovered when taking that when taking down my 5000 that I had it set to take verticals virtually all the time. I think partly because the Ikelite rig is so handy UW but I think the main reason is that you can see your image UW and the verticals just look nicer.

     

    Do you find yourselves taking more verticals with digital vs. film?

  2. I find that I only shoot about 10% vertical. A count of the shots in my latest album verifies this. I don't have one of those rotatable trays, so with the strobes set left and right, I'd have to move them or have them up and down in the vertical shot. On most of my verticals, I was too lazy or the subject was getting away, so I shot with the strobes up and down, which I don't think is the best lighting position.

     

    I think having a rotatable tray would get me to shoot more verticals.

     

    I've shot a grand total of 3 rolls of film underwater in a rental Nikons, so I can't address your question of digital vs film,

    but I would have guessed that you would find far fewer verticals in digital because most digital shots are viewed at a computer monitor, and except for a few strange Mac setups, monitors are horizontal.

     

    Herb

     

    [Edited on 6-4-2002 by herbko]

  3. When I shot a Nikonos I probably shot 50 percent or more verticals. The computer format has encouraged me to take another look when I am framing. Sometimes, artistically, there just is no other choice, but verticals do not display well on a computer screen or television.

     

    I got a chuckle from Herbko's comment about rearranging strobe arms. I have been there soooo many times. I miss my flip tray.

  4. Anyone use a flip-tray w/ their digital?

     

    The problem is that flip trays are not designed for cameras w/ LCD's on the back...:P

     

    Cheers

    James Wiseman

  5. I'm with the 10% verticle crowd. Takes to long to move everything. But they are beautiful when done correctly. definately the best option on most wall shots.

     

    I didn't even know they made a digital flip tray James? I personally would love to have one of those!

  6. I find the Ikelite housing so light and easy to use that I tend to swim around with the strobes set up for veritcal shots.

  7. If you don't have a flip tray and you use two strobes for wideangle, you need to reposition at least one to shoot vertical.

     

    Otherwise your shot will be lit from the bottom!!! That is un-natural and just plain looks weird.

     

    I use my ULCS arms to reposition, but it's a PITA.

     

    Here is a link to a flip tray for the Tetra:

     

    http://www.ulcs.com/news.html

     

    I talked w/ the Light and Motion rep on Sunday at Seaspace, and they think their Tetra5000 housing will work with this tray also.

     

    Cheers

    James

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.