Interesting article... obviously complete speculation but thought people might be interested
http://macsoda.com/2010/09/05/final-cut-st...e-inside-scoop/
Read-only discussion
Interesting article... obviously complete speculation but thought people might be interested
http://macsoda.com/2010/09/05/final-cut-st...e-inside-scoop/
Interesting article... obviously complete speculation but thought people might be interested
http://macsoda.com/2010/09/05/final-cut-st...e-inside-scoop/
Interesting article.
I, for one, don't have a huge demand for a massively overhauled FCS. It would be nice if FCP ran a little faster, especially rendering. It would be nice if Compressor was quicker. And, it would be nice if Motion and Color was a little more FCP-like so I don't have to scratch my head doing relatively simple tasks. But, none of these things are a big deal for me. If these were the main upgrades, I would reluctantly pay for the upgrade because I don't want to get stuck on an old version, but, a bit like FCS 3, I'd wonder what I was getting that I did not already have in the previous version.
For me, the only one big thing that I want from Apple is FULL support for Blu-ray - software authoring and hardware burning. I know that physical media will go the way of the dinosaur but, right now, Blu-ray is the best way to get quality HD onto large screens. I do use that little Blu-ray option in Compressor, but, in terms of authoring, it just isn't good enough.
Come on Steve Jobs, give us Blu-Ray...
Regards
Peter
Interesting. I know Randy personally, but have never asked any of my Apple contacts anything about what they do. It would be so much easier if the would actually talk about their work! ![]()
It would be so much easier if the would actually talk about their work!
Speculation, hope and rumors are the fun part Eric
All the stuff looks cool. The big one for me would be Color, though I have gotten the hang of the workflow of all the software. But if any of the "round-trip" worked well, that would be cool. Blu-ray will be dead by the time this stuff comes out ![]()
Blu-ray will be dead by the time this stuff comes out
What will replace Blu-ray for HD in the home?
Eventually, all HD video will be bought and delivered online but it'll be a while before the internet has the bandwidth and coverage.
Regards
Peter
Interesting. I know Randy personally, but have never asked any of my Apple contacts anything about what they do. It would be so much easier if the would actually talk about their work!
Well even their developers and testers have NDA hell to go through. It's not fun to work with the Apple SS. However, that article takes a little too big a cut at Apple. Motion isn't an embarrassment. It wasn't designed to compete with AEFX, which is so much more than just a motion graphics editor, unlike Motion. In fact, many production houses use Motion as part of a workflow in conjunction with AEFX.
Quicktime is going to be rewritten ground up for Cocoa, GCD and Open CL. Adobe's Mercury Engine is a fine example of what can be done. That's why I learned to use PP5 again. It can edit R3D natively and performance wise, it's really fast compared to FCP7. Wanna see how crappy QT API and FCS3 is? Look no further than at iOS4 iMovie on the iPad/iPhone. It can edit Long GOP H.264 natively... and FCP still chokes with it on a 12core Mac Pro!!!
What will replace Blu-ray for HD in the home?
Eventually, all HD video will be bought and delivered online but it'll be a while before the internet has the bandwidth and coverage.
Regards
Peter
Well seeing how popular Vimeo, Youtube and other media outlets are. I'd say Apple is catering to their core audience on the internet. Adobe's Production Suite can handle BD production well. Maybe you should look into that if you want BD.
Hey Drew,
That's why I transcode every format to the Pro Res codec which FC works with beautifully. Now that CS5 has gone 64bit the ball is in Apple's court to do something with their core technology and 32 bit FC system. Remember that Apple bought FCP from another company, renamed it to FCP and went from there. They will have to do an entire rebuild. A problem for the public and even Apple employees is that each department is completely separate from other depts. Even the Motion team has nothing to do with the FCP team. Software teams have no idea what the hardware teams are up to. This veil of secrecy, imho, is a real problem. I have a close friend who has worked for Apple for a long time, and not in the Apple Stores, and while a genius he may be, he told me they share very, very little between departments. Right now, FCP can only access 2.5 gigs of ram while Premier Pro which I have but have never tried, can access all 20 gigs of ram in my 12 core. Wish FCP could do that.
Steve
ps. Eric, if you're reading this, there are new firmware updates to your NVIDIA card out. You can go to your system prefs and go to the CUDA icon and download them from there.
Are y9ou serious Steve... it can only use 2.5 gig of RAM?????
That's ridiculous!
Adobe's Production Suite can handle BD production well. Maybe you should look into that if you want BD.
I might do that if FCS 4 does not include a BD authoring tool and support for a BD writer. But, I've invested so much time in getting up-to-speed with FCS that I would be reluctant to jump ship without giving Apple the chance to come up with a BD solution. I'm a long-standing Apple fan boy ... since 1986!
Regards
Peter
Are y9ou serious Steve... it can only use 2.5 gig of RAM?????
That's ridiculous!
Yup, and it's doesn't support Grand Central Dispatch and because of the 32bit structure, it can't access more cores due to RAM constraint as well. It also can't cover 4k either.
I might do that if FCS 4 does not include a BD authoring tool and support for a BD writer. But, I've invested so much time in getting up-to-speed with FCS that I would be reluctant to jump ship without giving Apple the chance to come up with a BD solution. I'm a long-standing Apple fan boy ... since 1986!
Well seeing how Apple dropped FCS3 in 2nd half 2009, you won't see BD if at all till late 2011 at the earliest. So if you are held up now, it's better to move now than later. The UI of PP5 isn't all that different. The learning curve isn't steep at all. The Mercury Engine on PP5 is fast and Encore is a much easier UI to use than DSP ever was, even if it's not as powerful. You should try it out. Apple has the better color correction tools (Color is awesome for grading) but PP5 with Cineform does 3D a lot better and faster. Horses for courses. ![]()
Yep, only 2.5 gigs ram. Once and when FCP goes 64 bit, considerably more ram should be accessed but who knows when that will be. I think that with CS5 going to the mercury engine and 64 bit, assuming you also have the compatible graphics card, the glove has been slapped across the face of Apple to do something with their over 10 year old architecture.
Steve
Yup, and it's doesn't support Grand Central Dispatch and because of the 32bit structure, it can't access more cores due to RAM constraint as well. It also can't cover 4k either.
I should add that the 2.5gb is only user allocated memory. There is another 1.5gb for other aspects like drivers, libraries etc. It's still 4gb overall. It's been well documented in the Apple KB.
I should add that the 2.5gb is only user allocated memory. There is another 1.5gb for other aspects like drivers, libraries etc. It's still 4gb overall. It's been well documented in the Apple KB.
Hence why my quad core imac with 12 gigs on ram is a bit quicker but not that much quicker than an old dual core with 4 gigs ram!
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.