Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Inon Z220 magnets and Fuji S2 Pro?

Started by aprest ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Inon Z220 magnets and Fuji S2 Pro?

5 posts
  1. Does anyone know and understand the function of the magnets for the InonZ220 strobe?

     

    As shown in some earlier posts I think we know how to wire and use dual Inon Z220 strobes with a Fuji S2 Pro (see http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3552). I had different results with the magnet configuration than Linda in that thread.

     

    I have been experimenting with the magnets in the "N" switch hole. I found that the modeling and LASER lights work on both strobes when both strobes have the magnets installed, and when both magnets are not installed. But if one has a magnet and one does not, the modeling and LASER light only work on the strobe with the magnet installed. I did a lot of exposure testing with both magnets installed and TTL works great. I did not do very much exposure testing when both magnets were not installed but TTL appeared to be working. Note that in the previous thread linda said that her setup only worked when both magnets were not installed.

     

    Also, in my setup the modeling lights and LASERs come on when the shutter is partially depressed, turn off during the exposure and come back on after the exposure is complete. Before exposure the modeling lights and LASERs stay on for about 18 seconds if I do not take a picture, and stay on about 23 seconds after I make an exposure. I did some tests against a white surface and in a mirror and it appears that the modeling lights and LASERs do shut off during an exposure.

    What has other people's experience been with the modeling lights and LASERs for the Inon Z220 strobes?

     

    Art

  2. Hello,

     

    The Z-220 and Z-220S were originally designed for film cameras with Nikonos circuitry, or Canon housings with a Canon to Nikon conversion circuit. The design dates back to when digital cameras had barely become available. Accordingly, some of the features may work with today's digital cameras.

     

    Inon has heard reports of successful TTL operation, and Z-220 Focus Light and Target Laser function with D100 and S2 cameras in some housings. Much seems to be dependant on the housing circuitry used by the housing manufacturers. Since Inon cannot test all the various camera/housing/strobe combinations we rely on reports from users. And, until some standards get worked out, many of the compatibility confirmations with existing strobe designs will have to be done trial and error, one camera/housing/strobe combination at a time.

     

    For reference, magnet switch information from Z-220/220S Manual:

    Camera Type Switch (“N”)

    For housed Nikon cameras or Nikonos V/RS cameras, connected to the Z-220/Z-220S with an electrical cord (e.g. Sea & Sea Sync Cord N) it is necessary to install the magnet in the “N” hole on the strobe rear panel.

    TTL OK Display Switch (“Z”)

    This switch is for Inon housings (X1-LZ / NZ / Z). By installing the magnet switch in the “Z” hole, the Z-220/Z-220S TTL OK green lamp and buzzer will be turned off and instead displayed (and heard from) the housing viewfinder.

     

    -Mark Rupert

    Inon America

  3. Thanks Mark,

    Please read my posts and Linda's posts in the following thread:

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3552

     

    I think we have figured out the wiring that works for a Fuji S2 Pro. Assuming that you can get other housings wired the same way (I believe some vendors will custom wire the dual bulkheads) with all five pins to each bulhead wired to the hotshoe identically in the standard fashion as shown on the Ikelite homepage (and traditionally wired by Sea&Sea for a single bulkhead), then the Inon S220 using a Sea&Sea sync cord should work fine in either single or dual bulkhead configurations.

     

    Note that my five year old Sea&Sea N90 housing and Nikon N90S works this way as well. However, unlike with the Fuji S2 Pro, the Nikon N90 setup in a single Inon Z220 strobe configuration works as the Inon manual describes - that is the modeling light and LASER stays on for about 8 seconds after the shutter lever is partially depressed, and the modeling light and LASER do not come back on after the exposure is made. Note that the Fuji S2 Pro plus Inon Z220 strobes works as I described above (in both single and dual strobe configurations) with the modeling light and LASER staying on longer and with the modeling light and LASER coming back on after an exposure is made. Since the bulkhead wiring is identical between my Sea&Sea Nikon N90 and my Sea& Sea Fuji S2 Pro housings, then the difference must be in the way the Nikon N90S camera communicates with the Inon Z220 strobe as compared to the way the Fuji S2 Pro communicates with the Inon Z220 strobe.

     

    I am somewhat concerned about battery life because of the long stay-on times and the light and LASER coming back on after an exposure is made. I was hoping that the magnet configuration might effect this behavior but it doesn't. I am hoping that James sounds in on this since he is using the Fuji S2 Pro in an Aquatica housing but is using a dual sync cord instead of dual bulkheads. Does his configuration result in the longer "stay-on" times for the modeling lights and do they come back on after an exposure is made?

     

    Regards, Art

  4. I would love to test this, but I don't own any Inon strobes (yet). I was able to try Craig's strobes on the camera table the last time we went diving together but that's it. We had to turn back as we were hit by a tropical storm.

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. Art stated:

    Also, in my setup the modeling lights and LASERs come on when the shutter is partially depressed, turn off during the exposure and come back on after the exposure is complete. Before exposure the modeling lights and LASERs stay on for about 18 seconds if I do not take a picture, and stay on about 23 seconds after I make an exposure.

     

    I did the same tests with my S2/Sea and Sea housing/dual Inon strobes and they work exactly the same as Art's. The modeling/laser lights stay on 18 seconds and 23 seconds. (I believe that he tested with the magnets in the N position; I tested with no magnets.) So I guess it will take some real experience shooting during a couple of dives to see how this impacts the battery life. If the wind would ever die down here I might be able to find out!

     

    Regards, Linda I.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.