Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

The Ultimate Spares & Maintenance Kit

Started by Subterranean ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

The Ultimate Spares & Maintenance Kit

15 posts
  1. I have done an initial search through the forums to see whether this has been covered yet. If it has, then I'd be grateful if someone could add a link or pointer.

     

    Meanwhile, it would be incredibly useful to put together an ultimate list of 'must haves' for a maintenance kit.

     

    Mine is work in progress and in any case, it seems there are always new ideas emerging on how to look after kit. Those useful items, the 'don't leave home without it just in case' rarities, basics and standard items and so on, :D.

     

    I'll get back with a default list (which I can edit to add, include and update as suggestions come in).

     

    In the meantime - if you have any super tips, please dive in and add your ideas.

     

    More soon ...

  2. Nice idea!

     

    With airlines' tightening their baggage allowances I've started to take less and less on trips. My must-have spares kit is now down to Cable Ties, Duct Tape, a spare camera body and a Wing and a Prayer.

     

    :D

  3. Here goes with a starter list ...

     

    O-rings: especially the housing rear door one (main culprit to go)

    O-ring grease: the right one for your setup!

    Self-sealing plastic food bags (... and not for those shrimp sandwiches!)

    Lint-free cloths

    Allen keys

    Camera & housing specific tools

    Cotton swabs / buds ... I hate using these but haven't found anything better that gets into the grooves.

    Lens tissues

    Small brush

    Phillips screwdriver

    Small LED torch

    Pair of needle-nose pliers (good to squish down cotton buds with)

    Dessicant sachets

    Small bottle of white vinegar

    Electrical tape

    Duck tape

    Cable ties (thx for these two Tim!!)

    Batteries

    Battery charger

    Small plastic bowl for soaking O-rings

    Small bottle of mild detergent

     

    I can fine tune this with a big red T next to items for travel - if this grows into something of encyclopedic proportions that is :D

     

    Suggestions welcome!

    Edited by Subterranean
  4. A few things to add --

     

    Everything electronic - camera, strobes, batteries, chargers, cables, sync cords (also fiber optics just in case), hot shoe adapter, bulkheads, backup for laptop. Also compete set of o-rings for housing, latches. Tools required to completely dismantle/reassemble housing.

     

    Instead of q-tips try foam tipped makeup applicators. No lint or fibers.

     

    Just curious - why are we soaking o-rings?

     

    If you have multiple colored o-rings on components, life is easier if you change everything to buna (black ones). Then all you need is good quality silicone grease to lub everything.

    Edited by jcclink
  5. :

    Lint-free cloths

    :

    Cotton swabs / buds ... I hate using these but haven't found anything better that gets into the grooves.

    Lens tissues

     

    Suggestions welcome!

    For lint-free cloths, I use a imatation chamois cut into small squares. Washable - reusable.

     

    The make-up sponges are a good idea. I still have some foam swabs from Radio Shack that are super for cleaning grooves and applying just the right amount of o-ring lube.

     

    I use micro fiber cloths instead of lens tissue. Also good for cleaing in/outside of ports.

     

    An old tooth brush - nothing gets the crud out of grooves better.

     

    Those little samples of dental floss your dentist gives you. Strong and waterproof

     

    Bob

    Edited by Deep6
  6. Between wife and I, (identical set ups), I would add to the existing list: spare cable, 1 extra strobe, battery tester, extra brass clip, some velcro straps and heavy rubber bands.

     

    Here is link to lintless swabs. I buy 1,000 and sell off the extra at our U/W camera club at cost.

     

    http://tinyurl.com/26hwla6

  7. Inspired top tips coming in! The sponge applicator / lintless swabs are the absolute answer. And I like the chamois too. Thank you so much for that - I shall edit them into the list a little later. Oh to have an extra strobe, camera body and those much coveted spare items too! I'm not quite in that league yet, but I like the notion. JC ... you're soaking O-rings because our little friends like to be clean and shiny with fresh lube so they remain elastic and flexible, :D .

    Sea-spray in the air when the camera's open, salty crystal deposits, tiny bits of dust, sand, grit, lint (for those not yet converted), old grease ... it's a precautionary measure. Soak for 30 minutes in a bowl of warm soapy water (mild detergent) to dissolve old grease and debris. Rinse in fresh water and then blot dry with a lint-free cloth. Re-grease with fresh lube and either store away if you aren't using your rig for a month or more, or insert back into their respective grooves where they're ready to party!

     

    Thank you again, keep them coming ..

  8. decent sized blob of thermoplastic resin. fantastic for making odd sized spacers repairing knobs etc, etc.

     

    it's right up there with zip ties and duct tape in it's usefulness. i even made a strobe diffuser with it, as when its thin enough it's translucent.

     

    Roddy

    Edited by frogfone
  9. That's an interesting idea, frogfone - can you elaborate with links, technical know-how and supplier info?

     

    Many thanks!

  10. How about one of those bulbs for blowing dust off a lens? I carry one of those with me all the time and at home I use a blow attachment on the LP inflator hose.

     

    Matt

  11. Several pros have suggested carrying a LensPen for cleaning lenses, etc. Here's the link.

     

    http://www.lenspen.com/402/152/

     

    I've used one for a year or so and it does a great job on lenses. Never tried it on mirrors. Not sure I'm ready to do so.

     

    I ordered mine from Ritz Camera under the name QUANTARAY LENS PEN BRUSH for about $8 each last year. It appears to be the LensPen just rebranded

     

    Great thread BTW

    Edited by divengolf
  12. The all rubber ones also work for blowing dirt off nudi's!

  13. Hi Sub

     

    here's a link to it on british ebay, theres a link about half way down to a Pdf which explains it's uses way better than i ever could.

     

    polymorph plastic

     

    basically you heat it in hot water until it goes clear, mould it to the shape you want and then let it cool or drop it in cold water. have used it a lot for modifying buttons, knobs, making spacer, replacement camera tray and strobe diffusers.

     

    hope that helps it's uses are limited only by your imagination, it's like playdough for adults.

     

     

    Roddy

  14. Here goes with a starter list ...

     

    O-rings: especially the housing rear door one (main culprit to go)

    O-ring grease: the right one for your setup!

    Self-sealing plastic food bags (... and not for those shrimp sandwiches!)

    Lint-free cloths

    Allen keys

    Camera & housing specific tools

    Cotton swabs / buds ... I hate using these but haven't found anything better that gets into the grooves.

    Lens tissues

    Small brush

    Phillips screwdriver

    Small LED torch

    Pair of needle-nose pliers (good to squish down cotton buds with)

    Dessicant sachets

    Small bottle of white vinegar

    Electrical tape

    Duck tape

    Cable ties (thx for these two Tim!!)

    Batteries

    Battery charger

    Small plastic bowl for soaking O-rings

    Small bottle of mild detergent

     

    I can fine tune this with a big red T next to items for travel - if this grows into something of encyclopedic proportions that is ^_^

     

    Suggestions welcome!

     

     

    + excess baggage allowance... :)

     

    Tim

     

    :D

  15. Rather than electrical tape I take self amalgamating tape. This is electrically insulating and can be used to make waterproof joints, patches,

    etc

     

    If you do need to repair sync cords you ll be able to with this.

     

    http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en...tingTape/130C+/

     

    E

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.