My Manfrotto ball head died after salt-water immersion...
I now have a new Joby ball-head to use on a Gorrillapod Focus. The 'Pod has stood up well to many immersions. Will the Joby ball-head? Joby seem to think it will... (?). Any ideas?
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Started by Timmoranuk ·
Read-only discussion
My Manfrotto ball head died after salt-water immersion...
I now have a new Joby ball-head to use on a Gorrillapod Focus. The 'Pod has stood up well to many immersions. Will the Joby ball-head? Joby seem to think it will... (?). Any ideas?
I have used a Manfrotto 222 tripod head for many years. Salt water has failed to destroy it, but a good rinse + WD40 spray may have helped. Heres a link:-
Can be used with a neoprene clad hand.
I've used an FLM B&S head underwater for several years with little problem - WD40 helps as Simon comments. FLM are relatively cheap which makes them somewhat 'disposable' if they finally fail. Not sure about the Joby - can you let us know in due course?
I have to say, being a bit of a greenie, but WD40 washes off and is considered toxic to the environment.
People should try to use food grade Silicon Spray which lubricates and also prevents seizure although you do need to make sure you remove the 3/8 adapter to dry it.
I use this product for lubrication of metallic parts. It's not as long lasting as WD40 but at least it biodegradeable and plant based.
I have to say, being a bit of a greenie, but WD40 washes off and is considered toxic to the environment.People should try to use food grade Silicon Spray which lubricates and also prevents seizure although you do need to make sure you remove the 3/8 adapter to dry it.
I use this product for lubrication of metallic parts. It's not as long lasting as WD40 but at least it biodegradeable and plant based.
That's useful to know - I hadn't thought of the toxic effects of WD40. I'm somewhat dubious about silicone and would be interested to know if any studies have been done to monitors its effects.
Paul
Silicone grease isn't biodegradable but is lower in toxicity compared to mineral oils and petroleum based products. From what I've read (which isn't much). Of all the non-plant based lubes, silicone based is one of the better ones. BLP, the one I linked is plant based and fully degradable. I use it for everything in the house, including cars etc.
That's useful to know - I hadn't thought of the toxic effects of WD40. I'm somewhat dubious about silicone and would be interested to know if any studies have been done to monitors its effects.
For the most part, silicone is neither toxic nor is it biodegradable and it certainly isn't plant based. We use silicone for many components of implantable medical gear and it is remarkably bio-stable. Silicone grease that washes or is rubbed off of a housing will likely sink and sit on the bottom for a long time but if any critter eats it there should be no consequences.
Bill
I've used an inexpensive ebay jobbie that was worked perfectly for holding a focus light.
So far so good on the salt resistance end.
I have to say, being a bit of a greenie, but WD40 washes off and is considered toxic to the environment.People should try to use food grade Silicon Spray which lubricates and also prevents seizure although you do need to make sure you remove the 3/8 adapter to dry it.
I use this product for lubrication of metallic parts. It's not as long lasting as WD40 but at least it biodegradeable and plant based.
Well I never. Thanks Drew. Never occurred to me......
Why not use Christo-Lube MCG 111 or Tribolube-71, they are chemically inert and used in food processing.
Besides regulator o-ring lubrication, I use them to lube my sync cord locking rings so they do not corrode together.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.