I have an INON 45 degree viewfinder fitted to my NA-7D which was originally fitted by the housing suppliers, Underwater Visions. Prior to an upcoming trip I was doing a little housing maintenance and, using the locking ring removal tool, I removed the viewfinder, cleaned and lubed the o-rings, cleaned the seat and refitted the viewfinder. I now find that the viewfinder will not rotate either when fitted to or removed from the housing. Nope, I didn't drop it or damage it in any way... Any ideas?
The viewfinder has 4 holes in it. These are located around the viewfinder tube that actually goes threw the housing. In two of these holes 180 degrees apart you will find a spring that pushes on a ball bearing. These ball bearings fit in little indents on the collar. If you have removed it and reinstalled it I wonder if you lost a bearing, have one lodged in a strange place or whatever. My suggestion is remove it again and check this out. The collar is the part that touches the housing and usually has a little locating pin in it and the viewfinder tube passes threw this part. It should rotate freely on the viewfinder tube that extends threw the center of the collar. As you rotate it the springs allow ball bearings to retract and then drop into the next indent that is 90 degrees apart. If this isn't clear send me some close up pictures of your setup.
Hi Bill,
Thanks for your kind reply. I havn't actually diassembled the viewfinder, only removed it from the housing. Perhaps in doing so I may have disturbed the orientation of the ball bearings / springs and the mechanism has jammed. I made a search for suitable circlip pliers so I could have delved deeper (...) but decided to pack the 'finder off to Kevin Reed at KMR / Aquaphot. It'll be interesting to hear what he has to say tomorrow. I'll report back.
Hi Bill,
Thanks for your kind reply. I havn't actually diassembled the viewfinder, only removed it from the housing. Perhaps in doing so I may have disturbed the orientation of the ball bearings / springs and the mechanism has jammed. I made a search for suitable circlip pliers so I could have delved deeper (...) but decided to pack the 'finder off to Kevin Reed at KMR / Aquaphot. It'll be interesting to hear what he has to say tomorrow. I'll report back.
It is probably a coincidence that it stopped turning about the same time you removed and replaced it. The viewfinder has springs on the inside that allow it to lock in to position with each 90 degree turn. These springs are not water sealed and are prone to rust. There isn't a good way to flush them out well. I removed them altogether from my viewfinder, which does require a bit of disassembly, but not much. My viewfinder no longer locks into place every 90 degrees, but it also no longer gets stuck. It really doesn't present a problem and it works much better without the springs.
It is probably a coincidence that it stopped turning about the same time you removed and replaced it. The viewfinder has springs on the inside that allow it to lock in to position with each 90 degree turn. These springs are not water sealed and are prone to rust. There isn't a good way to flush them out well. I removed them altogether from my viewfinder, which does require a bit of disassembly, but not much. My viewfinder no longer locks into place every 90 degrees, but it also no longer gets stuck. It really doesn't present a problem and it works much better without the springs.
It'll be a big disappointment if the springs / mechanism has rusted in the short time (6 months) I've owned this 'finder, despite good rinsing. Once Kevin has taken a look and diagnosed the problem I may well heed your advice and dispense with the springs and bearings altogether...
Thanks for your kind and appreciated help.
It'll be a big disappointment if the springs / mechanism has rusted in the short time (6 months) I've owned this 'finder, despite good rinsing. Once Kevin has taken a look and diagnosed the problem I may well heed your advice and dispense with the springs and bearings altogether...
Thanks for your kind and appreciated help.
Mine rusted in a similar period of time. I had the springs replaced and they rusted again shortly. Finally I just removed them myself and I think the viewfinder works just as well without the springs.
How about changing the springs to stainless steel ones??
My finder jammed after a week in Palau: grit in the bearing. It needs thorough washing every day and dissassembly every once in a while, regreasing the bearing.