Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Next glass...?

Started by Timmoranuk ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Next glass...?

7 posts
  1. I made the jump to DSLR (a 7D) and acquired Canon 60mm and 100mm macros, Sigma 8-16mm and Tokina 10-17mm and a Sigma 17-70mm. Its a great suite of glass and when CJ graduates to DSLR, he'll use alongside me and shoot the same subjects. We can both shoot macro (and one of us can shoot WAM with the Tokina as we also have a x1.4 TC), we can both shoot wide angle but we may end up, on occasions, fighting over the 17-70mm. Logically, I could get another but I'd like to continue the theme of 'similar but not the same' so that we (I) have greater choice and can shoot the same subjects but differently. Any suggestions as to a final piece of glass would be very welcome.

  2. I made the jump to DSLR (a 7D) and acquired Canon 60mm and 100mm macros, Sigma 8-16mm and Tokina 10-17mm and a Sigma 17-70mm. Its a great suite of glass and when CJ graduates to DSLR, he'll use alongside me and shoot the same subjects. We can both shoot macro (and one of us can shoot WAM with the Tokina as we also have a x1.4 TC), we can both shoot wide angle but we may end up, on occasions, fighting over the 17-70mm. Logically, I could get another but I'd like to continue the theme of 'similar but not the same' so that we (I) have greater choice and can shoot the same subjects but differently. Any suggestions as to a final piece of glass would be very welcome.

    Will you take any suggestions from the Nikon camp? ;0)

     

    I have the Sig 17-70, but was considering the Sig 18-50 macro-ish. It does not extend as far as the 17-70. You will need another dome port, extention and zoom gear anyway. TomC reports that he use the small Bare dome + the Nauticam 40 mm port extension and the Nauticam to Nexus M5 adapter with his 17-70 (for Nikon). That way you will have a 10-17, 10-17 + 1.4 TE, and a 17-70 or 18-50 port. Less cost and less kit for travel.

    Bob

  3. Yes, we'll need another dome. I'm waiting to see how well the Sigma 8-16mm shoots behind a 200mm Zen. If its good, we'll get another of those ports but it may just need the 230mm Zen. If so, we'll be swapping a big dome along with the 8-16mm... $$$!

     

    I presume that the Sigma 18-50mm is going to shoot much like the Canon 17-40mm? Both are probably very worthy lenses and neither will require an investment in a big dome.

     

    The other alternative may be to overlap the 8-16mm and the 17-70mm with a Canon 10-22mm. I rarely use the 'reach' of the 17-70mm with a DX so that may be an option...

    Edited by Timmoranuk
  4. Next Glass..........? Have you got the Nauticam Viewfinder?....Now thats a nice piece of glass.

     

    Regards Mark

  5. 35mm if you can get one?

     

    or...Inon "endoscope" very tricky to get focussed tho I hear

  6. Next Glass..........? Have you got the Nauticam Viewfinder?....Now thats a nice piece of glass.

     

    Regards Mark

     

    I have the INON 45 degree viewfinder. I'm generally very pleased with it but, at present, its in dry dock getting fixed. The rotation mechanism is jammed...

     

    35mm if you can get one?

     

    or...Inon "endoscope" very tricky to get focussed tho I hear

     

    Hi Paul,

     

    Yes, the endoscope was a thought but, as you say, its a tricky lens. I hear it performs best if you put the subject at the front of the front of the DOF. All a bit of a 'guessimate' for me and I'd expect better from glass of this price...

     

    I'm looking for something to shoot alongside the 17-70 and which can also offer some creative 'difference'...

    Edited by Timmoranuk
  7. I see Tim...You only have prime macro lenses, why not a prime wide angle?, or a prime normal...

    Edited by Scubysnaps
Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.