A common question on the forum is what lenses should I buy for underwater photography.
So I had a look through my. Obviously there are many biases in this. I don't always travel with all lenses and of course the choice of subject/destination will have a strong bias on the results. But if a few of us look this up, it might provide a useful reference, about what lenses we tend to find most useful underwater and how regularly they produce keepers.
These numbers come from my laptop's Lightroom Catalogue - representing the images I have brought back from the field. I edit quite heavily in the field (bringing back only about 20% of what I shoot), but I think that this editing is fairly even across different lenses. I have divided the data into FX cameras and DX cameras, for obvious reasons. The numbers do not differentiate when teleconverters etc are used. And I have omitted any land images from the selections.
FX Cameras
Sigma 15mm FE - 37%
Nikon 16mm FE - 19%
Nikon 16-35mm - 2.6% (new lens)
Nikon 17-35mm - 10%
Nikon 20mm - 0.25%
Sigma 28-70mm - 2%
Nikon 60mm - 7%
Nikon 105mm - 16%
Sigma 150mm - 6%
Fisheye total is 56%, wide angle all is almost 70%. Total images surveyed 26144.
DX Cameras
Tokina 10-17mm FE - 39%
Nikon 10.5mm FE - 4%
Nikon 12-24mm - 6%
Nikon 16mm FE - 1%
Nikon 17-35mm & 17-55mm - 1%
Sigma 17-70mm - 18%
Nikon 60mm - 13%
Nikon 105mm - 14%
Sigma 150mm - 5%
Fisheye total is 44%, wide angle total is less than for FX at 50% (probably reflecting changes in diving as well as my feeling that DX is better for macro, so I have shot less macro on FX). Nikon 60mm gets much more use relative to Nikon 105mm on DX, than FX. Total images surveyed 15057.
Anyway, since many people now use Lightroom or similar programs - it would be interesting for others to post the same data for their UW folders - to get a good impression of which UW lenses get the most use and/or produce the most keepers.
Alex