Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Broadcast Safe

Started by jonny shaw ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Broadcast Safe

5 posts
  1. I am currently finishing a project for broadcast and wanted to get peoples opinion on correct work flow in FCP,

     

    1. Capture and edit sequence in this case ProRes LT

    2. Apply all colour correction / filters

    3. Nest the sequence

    4. Apply Broadcast Safe Filter on conservative setting

    5. Render and export

     

    open for any diff ideas

  2. I am currently finishing a project for broadcast and wanted to get peoples opinion on correct work flow in FCP,

     

    1. Capture and edit sequence in this case ProRes LT

    2. Apply all colour correction / filters

    3. Nest the sequence

    4. Apply Broadcast Safe Filter on conservative setting

    5. Render and export

     

    open for any diff ideas

     

     

    I Think Simon Spear has done this sort of thing so he may chip in, I personally just hand over the media and let them get on with it ;)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  3. From my experience:

     

    Basically there are post production agencies that will do all this for you, but whether you need to use them or not really does depend on who your end client is and what format you need to deliver in. For DigiBeta I hand it over rather than renting a deck, especially as there will probably be fairly stringent requirements on what goes where (clean edit/subtitles etc). For ProRes/HDV/DVCAM I try to do it myself, but I often find that clients are not happy relying on the FCP Broadcast Safe Filter and will still want an expert to check it over. If the client has a decent enough in house production department then I just hand it over and let them deal with this which is ALWAYS the preferred method!

     

    I don't know if it is an absolute requirement to nest the sequence or not. If I'm passing it onto an agency to sort out for me then they will normally want it done, but I've delivered tapes without nesting and no one bothered that it hadn't been done.

     

    I've found agencies to be notoriously anal about this general procedure and if you are passing on your work for marketing by them then personally I'd want to get an expert to do it so it doesn't come back to bite you on the bum. Then again I'd far rather be shooting than doing this so perhaps I'm just making excuses not to do it ;)

     

    Well that's my experience on it. Drew would probably be able to enlighten you further and let us know how you get on! :D

     

    Cheers, Simon

  4. Jon

    The BCS filter works but I'd check the scopes in FCP or Color to make sure nothing is over 100IRE or under 7.5IRE. Or you can ensure your RGB levels should be between 16-235 when color correcting. I remember a colorist once told me that filters like the BCS can screw up colors because of badly graded material before applying the filter. So if you grade everything to broadcast levels, then add the BCS filter to be safe, then you're gold.

    These are just guidelines and you should always monitor the project on a broadcast monitor to be sure of what you are outputting isn't offputting. ;) Once you are happy with the output with the limits, then you're good to go. Don't simply rely on the filter to make your project "ok". It may bite you with drabby whites etc if you didn't grade properly before applying the filter.

  5. In FCP, I would use your vectorscope and waveform manager so that you can adjust the segments as to their being broadcast safe. Using the filter affects the entire clip which may not be necessary.

    Steve

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.